Home Forums General Discussion ZAMM Photos

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

These pictures seem to have first surfaced in the middle of last year.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance was written in the early 70s, it isn't really about Zen, or Motorcycle Maintenance, but it is a road trip and it has got a BMW in it. There are some pictures of the author (Robert Pirsig) on his bike - a Honda 305cc CB77 and, to justify me posting this thread, in some of the shots his mate's R60, I think.

This is the book that got me onto a bike, only I didn't know it at the time.

http://ww2.usca.edu/ResearchProjects/ProfessorGurr/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=Pictures-Robert-Pirsigs-original-1968-trip&page=1

aegis4805
    Participant
    AlexW wrote:
    These pictures seem to have first surfaced in the middle of last year.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance was written in the early 70s, it isn't really about Zen, or Motorcycle Maintenance, but it is a road trip and it has got a BMW in it. There are some pictures of the author (Robert Pirsig) on his bike - a Honda 305cc CB77 and, to justify me posting this thread, in some of the shots his mate's R60, I think.

This is the book that got me onto a bike, only I didn't know it at the time.

http://ww2.usca.edu/ResearchProjects/ProfessorGurr/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=Pictures-Robert-Pirsigs-original-1968-trip&page=1

Alex thanks for posting this link - I'm a fan of Pirsig. I was introduced to the book as a recommended reading for a course in Public Admin I did in the 70's by an academic who thought 'outside the square'.

I've read it several times and each time I gain some different perspectives / insights.

I like the contrast between the Honda rider (Pirsig) and the BMW rider.

The word pictures he paints about folk in cars looking like they're traveling to a funeral, the better alternative of the byways and the artisan servicing the chain on the Honda are all evocative for me.

This book along with an Australian journo working at the Otago Daily Times in the late 60's early 70's who owned an earles fork BMW boxer flat twin (black with white pin striping) - (when I rode a Honda Benly 125) started my love affair with beemers.

For me the book touches on the spiritual aspect of motorcycling.

Cheers Aslan
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.