Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Which Airhead battery?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

The battery on my R80GS is dead for all practical purposes. I've been told that a cheap one will do. That suits me fine. Can someone suggest a source in Auckland, so I can pick one up? Should be around the $80-90 mark. Alex

janejohnstewart
    Participant

I've got the Panasonic LC-X1228P mentioned on Advrider fitted in mine, but I've been told that the non OEM gel batteries for the 1150 do the job at the right price.... you might need a bit of foam to push the battery over to the RH side of the battery tray 😉

Dave Ross

Thanks, how much was the Panasonic?

janejohnstewart
    Participant

My failing memory tells me about $120, and that was mail order from an outfit in Chch ... I've just had a quick look on the net, and I can't see a link to them, but National (Panasonic) batteries are at Point Chev http://www.natbat.co.nz/ ... it might be worth a call

Dave Ross

I've sent those guys an email. $120 is ok.

janejohnstewart
    Participant

… but as I said, I thing you can probably get the non OEM Oilhead gel battery for the same sort of money from Experience.Good luck.

Dave Ross

I've ordered the Panasonic, the guy quoted me $108 +GST. At least I know it fits and don't have to muck around with it. I am looking forward to having a bike that starts without cables.

Brian
    Participant

no need for extra wires Alex. And keep an eye out for a package. Jim

Dave Ross

I've bought and installed the Panasonic. He had the battery with the post terminals (AP) in stock, so I bought that instead of the nut and bolt model (P). It went in alright but is about 20mm shorter than stock. However, it puts out 28 amps to the 25 of the old one.The previous battery was about 6-7 years old. The new battery has established its authority, you can certainly hear the difference.Thanks for all advice

Mark Williams
    Participant

Has anyone installed a Panasonic like the one in this topic in an R1100RT?  I am nursing the current one along and will need on soon.  Can any tell me about the socket battery chargers and if they are on the web, I would be interested if they were simple to use and did a good job.  Getting at the battery in my machine is a matter of undoing 18 allen screws and removing the faring so anything simple would be good.Cheers

David
    Participant

Mike, you have to also remove the fuel tank, bigger job than the fairings.

Dave Ross

This is the one I've bought. Works on cars as well.EDOC_1p2amp_1.jpghttp://www.webbikeworld.com/r3/motorcycle-battery-charger/I bought mine at motomail, money well spent.

dave.valma
    Participant

Alex, apologies for the  slight topic shift, Could you please look at the face of your R80GS speedo and tell me what is the ratio written on it. It could be 2.023 or something or W793 etc. We are trying to source a second hand one and need these No's to identify the correct one.Thanks.

Dave Ross

Not a problem, it's W747.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I also have the Battery Doc.  Works great!  I got mine at Motomail as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.