Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Which 1200RT?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Participant

HiMy F800ST is proving to be too small. I've been musing on what to do, and my heart tells me a 1200RT is the answer. Told me that a while back, I've been in denial since then, and the issue remains.Experience is selling a 1200 on behalf. Pre DOHC, with all the fruit. 20k.Mount MC has a DOHC for about 10k more.Is the DOHC with all the fruit really worth 10k more than a Pre DOHC with all the fruit? I'm not sitting on an unlimited budget, and as much as I'd love the newer one, the Pre looks pretty enticing.The fruit on the newer bikes looks juicer than the older model, and my mechanic tells be the DOHC is the dogs bollocks.Interested in the views of those who know.Ka kite.

Dave Morris
    Participant

how about a old blanket we can put on ya lap to keep ya legs warm

Mark Mackay
    Participant

Steve the RT has heated seats ,You do not need a blanket. Both RTs have 110 hp,the DOHC has 5nm more torque both at 6000 rpm.The 09 model has full Staintune exhaust and k&n filter which adds power.At $10,000 differance You can keep the ST for a get to work wich is ideal.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I thought you'd ridden both a pre DOHC and a DOHC RT? You'd be best placed to say whether you feel the difference if you have. I haven't ridden a pre-DOHC 1200 boxer, but my GSA is a DOHC. From my understanding (at least in the GSs) the DOHC does make more power and it's most noticeable higher up the range.To be fair in the comparison, the DOHC R1200RT also has ESA, TPMS/RDC (whatever the fuck you want to call it) and electric screen. Certainly a big difference in price and it's up to you whether all that is worth the thick wedge of $10k. ESA is very good, but I've just been through the process of replacing, as it's not serviceable, so went aftermarket. On one hand, having electronic suspension is awesome, on the other, it may as well double the price. So if you're on a budget, avoiding ESA will possibly make it a bit cheaper down the line if you replace the suspension down the line.From the Mount Motorcycles point of view, I bought the GSA from them, they were evil. I went down simply to test ride and walked away signing on the dotted line (never done that before!). Top notch and worked an excellent deal out. If you are interested, approach and see whether or not they would shift on price... The bike isn't that far off new and has enough km on it to definitely be 2nd hand.Just throwing another spanner in your equation, there were factory rebates running (due to end in September, but you never know if you ask nicely) and the RT was a $3.1k off brand new. You probably don't want to buy brand new, but it could be useful when bargaining, as it does de-value 2nd hand bikes.

Mark Mackay
    Participant

Ridden a DOHC one, Cannot feel any differance with My RT wich has exhaust and filter mods. If You need any more power buy a GT or S and try see how long You can keep points of Your Licence.

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Gremlin……………fancy seeing you here………AKA Rastuscat.Since I've queried, progress has been made. The SOHC may be the bike for me.ESA, Traction, ABS, heated seats, AM/FM, yaddy yaddy yaddy. Cheaper by 10K.  Difference is I have to sell mine privately, bit it's probably worth the effort. I've been unimpressed with the trade in offer I've had from one dealer. I'm no different to anyone, I want to get heaps for mine, but pay bugger all for the next one.Loved the DOHC I rode last week, but also love the 07 SOHCs I have ridden. Yes, the new one is probably better, but it's not as if the older one is bad. I don't race, I don't flog my bikes, the extra power/torque would be unused anyway.I suspect my strategy is to buy a SOHC, and then get onto a water cooled one in 3 or 4 years. Must consider my options. Moving house in the next week doesn't help.

Anonymous
    Inactive

ESA, Traction, ABS, heated seats, AM/FM, yaddy yaddy yaddy. Cheaper by 10K.  Difference is I have to sell mine privately, bit it's probably worth the effort. I've been unimpressed with the trade in offer I've had from one dealer. I'm no different to anyone, I want to get heaps for mine, but pay bugger all for the next one.

Yup, was pretty sure it's you. I'm sure you're stalking me and not the other way around. Yeah, it's human to want to get heaps for yours and pay bugger all for the next  ;D Worse is when you have an idea of a low trade in value and they still come in lower.  😮The only thing I thought of (I think it was a post of yours on KB) was that do you really want basically the same bike for work and personal? My boss provides a Hornet for work and I enjoy both bikes for their own merits and also the ability to switch between two different bikes as I want. Sort of keeps it fresh as well. On the other hand, if it's perfect for you...

Russell Taylor
    Participant

I had my reservations about the RT-Ps until I put it all in perspective.I started counting a few things recently, to try to get my head around what we do to the bikes. We use the starter motor maybe 30 to 40 times in a shift, then wonder why we have electrical problems.We ride them mostly in town, then wonder why the accessory battery doesn't hold a charge.We do maybe 30 to 40 U-turns each shift, and accelerate quickly out of them, We brake, clutch and accelerate more than anyone .Once I'd got my head around why we have the issues we have, it's pretty fair to say that I love the RTs. The big seller for me is the wind protection.I commute to work at 5.30 each morning, and in winter, that's a bloody cold, Canterbury commute. The 800 leaves me exposed, and I freeze. Funny, it has a temperature guage on the OBC, sometimes I want to cover it over with electrical tape, as I'd rathe rnot know hoe blooddy cold I was. On the odd occasion when I've had the work bike home for the night, the commute is a pleasure. Soooo much weather protection.I'm getting soft. My first ever bike was a CB250N, and that was the most spartan bike I've ever had. I thought it was just the ducks nuts at the time. Now I value things like heated grips, heated seats, decent screens that actually work, radio, blah blah blah. I know, I'm getting soft in my old age.I rode the DOHC last week and that's what stopped me looking at a Concourse. It has so much bling, and rode beautifully. That new fangled volume controller on the left hand grip is way amusing. Thing is, is it really so much better?Anyway, it's been a self reflection learning process. The Concourse I have parked in my garage just now (belongs to a mate) is now off the shopping list.

Anonymous
    Inactive

At least you're a bit older… I'm still in my twenties (Ok, just) and already have a BMW, heated grips yada yada. I guess I'll be on a motorised scooter by my forties if this rate of progression keeps up.  :'(Still, life is too short to ride a bike you don't love, so get the one you want! I bet your colleagues will give you shit about riding the same bike anyway, just tell them it's an unmarked trial  😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.