Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Wheels

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Probably more chance that the bike shop leaves the wheel studs loose ( I saw this on the GS ride bike had been in for a new tire) than the wheel falling apart if the retaining bolts are reassembled with some loctite and torqued up evenly. The center disc of the wheel should be fairly well spigoted into the outer rim. I cant see a production line mucking around with dial gauges on every wheel loosening and retightening those bolts to get the wheel running true. Don't nock the number eight wire Alex some things are just over rated. Wait till you see what I am building all the BMW purists will be crying.Home made frame YZ front forks 1150 motor 1100 gearbox and paralever rear end, thought I throw all the spare parts that I had lying around together. Would you like to be the first test pilot afterall its all number eight wire.Gerard

Dave Ross

Would you like to be the first test pilot afterall its all number eight wire.

No thanks, I wouldn't want to steal your fun. Yes some things are overrated and things are not fully understood. But you are right, the chances that they'll screw up your bike in a workshop are probably higher. I wouldn't discourage people from having a go themselves. A lot of companies want to sell you the whole package and make you dependent on their services, it makes good business sense. Also, it wouldn't be the first times, especially not in the world of motorcycles, that companies have copied trends that individuals have started.

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

I'm pleased to report that the BBS wheel that you've all helped me with has been stripped, polished and re tyred and has been for it's first shiny ride  🙂  I have to thank all of you who contributed with very useful information that helped me along the way.  An interesting little exercise that has prepared me for the rear wheel which I can attempt with confidence.Thanks allMalcolm

Dave Morris
    Participant

what about the weave the bike now has at 80kmh  ;D 

Anonymous

It doesn't just weave at 80, it also knits at 90, and will crochet if it gets going downhill above 100.

Dave Ross

It doesn't just weave at 80, it also knits at 90, and will crochet if it gets going downhill above 100.

Well, if it can do all that now, it is definitely an improvement :-).

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

And just as well too Bruce.  If it gets up to the ton it'll be full time on underpants for this old fella.

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.