Home Forums General Discussion What to do with your licence label

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

One of our BMW riders received a ticket (it was not me) for not displaying the licence label on the rear of the bike in clear view.What my understanding of the law is. As long as you have the licence label some were close to the number plate you can have it facing which ever way you want. I have mine attached to the rear face of the number plate. It does not say to install the licence label facing rear of the motor bike with a clear view.What to do with your licence labelWhen you pay the licensing fee, you get a label that shows the date your licence expires. You must display this label on the left-hand side of your motor vehicle's windscreen, or near your number plate (for trailers or motorcycles). http://www.landtransport.govt.nz/factsheets/49.html

Dave Ross

I am assuming you are talking about the registration label. I was stopped at a check point 3 days ago. Mine is attached to the starter-motor cover and this wasn't a problem.  Only a pedantic %#@# would issue a ticket for that.

Anonymous

I am assuming you are talking about the registration label. I was stopped at a check point 3 days ago. Mine is attached to the starter-motor cover and this wasn't a problem.  Only a pedantic %#@# would issue a ticket for that.

Reistration label is now a licence label and the registatation plate is now a number plate. You tell me! How the hell is the public surpose to get it right if the Land Transport can not.

Dave Ross

Reistration label is now a licence label and the registatation plate is now a number plate. You tell me! How the hell is the public surpose to get it right if the Land Transport can not.

And a cheese cutter is now a safety device :-). It happens when bureaucrats get bored and feel the need to justify their position 👿

Peter Hadfield
    Participant

i got stopped at a random check point on my old bike and my stickers were mounted on the screen, no problem at all and mr plod was fine?

Clive Lawrence
    Participant

They don't seem to mind if you have the sticker displayed yet this covers part of the number plate.. even when passing the local fuzz 😆

Russell Taylor
    Participant

I can't help responding to this one, I've just read it.Lot's of people complain about the actions of the police, claiming dodgy tickets etc. Most then go on to say"Oh it wasn't me, it was my friend". This absolves them from having to produce proof of the actual ticket. I frequently hear about "My mate who got a speed camera ticket for 51 in a 50 area". Nonsense.Another thing to consider is that a ticket is merely the Police allegation that an offence has been committed. If you feel aggreived, request a hearing at the court, and tell your story to a JP. Only the JP can make the guilty call. If you pay the fine, you are declaring your own guilt.The third factor is what the Police call the attitude test. Once you have given the Policeman his pedigree about revenue collecting, quotas and not having something more important to do ("Go catch a REAL criminal", or "Go pick on boy racers or gang members"), do you really think he is going to let you drive off with a warning? Odd, Policemen are people too, and don't like being treated badly.None of which may have been the case in the circumstances as outlined at the start of this thread, but I almost guarantee there is more to the story than the friend has to tell.Anyway, those are my musings.

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Out of interest, the required document to display is called a licence label. You originally register your vehicle, then relicence it each year.I understand that there is no specific place it has to be displayed, as long as it is visible, and shows that the vehicle is licenced. 😉

Dave Ross

I have no issue with speeding tickets. If you don't want to get caught, don't speed, or at least pay attention. The rules are quite clear and apply from just below the PM down to the rest of us.

Anonymous

The law is the label most be close to the number plate only.It funny how the police will give you a ticket for the same thing they were doing off duty. Like racing two police bikes down the Northern motor way last week when off duty.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.