Home Forums Rides Calendar Whangamomona and Fisher’s track Adv. Ride

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Bummer, it's really hard to find doable dates. 17th and 18th won't work for me, unfortunately. If 25th & 26th doesn't work for anyone else I'll reschedule for February.

Nick Taber
    Participant

I am happy to leave Fisher's Track for another time so count me in  :-D.  I am booked on the motorway ride as well. 

peter.trub
    Participant

Chateau to Plateau is mainly road bikes so dessert storm won't dwindle the numbers by much. Have you decided which way you are coming into the Naki yet Alex. I have notified the border patrols and all the snipers have been stood down  😀 At present it is raining, Whanga Rd (for those who dont know) is a papa track. Papa has two surfaces, "DRY" which means harder than concrete, and "WET" which means woooooobaby  😮My bike is in bits at the moment Alex, not sure when the beast will be fired up again but will let you know if it is before Saturday.

Dave Ross

We'll be coming down Mangatoa Rd and will probably stay at the Awakino Hotel. Haggis and Richard K. have confirmed. Three people is a good number, but anyone else is welcome. The longterm forecast looks good at the moment, time enough for the papa to dry out, I hope.

Dave Ross

I've booked two twin rooms in the Awakino Hotel. That leaves the option of one more person joining us.

Nick Taber
    Participant

OK.  I'm just back from Brisbane so glad to see it's still on.  Need to change my back tire on Thursday at Cycletreads.  Think I will go for the TKC 80.  I was surprised when looking at the Metz Karoo and TKC 80 side by side how much more widely spaced the knobbles appear to be on the Metz.  It looks like there must be significantly more rubber in contact with the road with the TKC 80  😕

Dave Ross

You'll find the TKC more confidence inspiring on the road. You can lean it right to the edge.

Dave Ross

Ok, final call :-). Sunday morning departure at 7.30am from BP Papakura.  We'll head down the coast from Raglan onwards into Awakino. We can drop off some of the gear there and proceed further down the coast before heading inland for Kiwi Rd and some of the others. Next morning we'll head for the Old Whangamommona road. At this stage I am not sure which end to enter it from, or if there is a connection from Aotuhia heading north.  After that we'll head home via the rest of the forgotten world highway.

Nick Taber
    Participant

Great.  Looking forward to it.  See you at the motorway ride on Saturday anyway.  Got the TKC on tonight – $310 incl fitting.

peter.trub
    Participant

What time do you expect to be at Awakino Alex?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for accepting my late entry, Alex. Anticipating an excellent adventure.Peter

Dave Ross

What time do you expect to be at Awakino Alex?

Hmmm, hoping to be there by 2pm, including a lunch somewhere. I hope this is realistic.

peter.trub
    Participant

From Papakura to Awakino by the main road is 3hrs in a truck so you have allowed plenty of time for exploring on the way down even allowing for coming via the coast road. Depending on which way you plan to go home you may like to have a look at the Waikawau Rd on your way down. There is a Tunnel at the end of it that goes down onto the beach. It would pay to walk through it first as from time to time the beach end gets a bit altered by nature  :-o.You could also consider the Taumatamarie Rd. It has spectacular views of the Urenui Bay and Mt Egmont from the top.. Comes out at the top end of Awakino Gorge. You have probably driven through that tunnel many times. take alook at the abandoned house on the other side of the river. Cost of putting in another bridge was too much so its owners walked away from it. Also check out how far the river has under cut the road  :-o. Halfway through the Gorge there is an area on the right where sealing chip, metal etc is stock piled. opposite that is the driveway to Bexley Station. If you ride up there about 500 mtrs you will come to a natural tunnel formed by the creek on its far side. Another tunnel exsists on the Frazer Smith Rd. Is that enough tunnels for you for a starter?I have got my bike running, so I may come North and join you for the Sunday. Unfortunatly the Boss would need counseling if I joined you for the Monday as well.  😀

Dave Ross

We'd love to have you along Colin. I just looked through Garry's report and admired the picture where you give your bike a bath. A clean bike is obviously important to some :-D.I think I've been through that tunnel. The other side had a nasty step-down to the beach, with a down only option.Is that where they used to drive the cattle along the beach?

peter.trub
    Participant

Yes thats the one!! Some of the locals fix it up every now and then so they can launch boats off the beach. Other times its a big step  😮It is one of many stock tunnels in Taranaki (we love tunnels  :-D). We also have the Te Horo tunnel at White Cliffs and some sheep tunnels at Tarata.Gave the bike a good clean for the concourse and still didnt place  😥 Perhaps Henry was so dazzled by the shine he didnt linger long to admire its qualitys  😀 Very well maintained (some of the top BMW guys in N.Z helped me fix it, Thanks Guys  :-D).

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.