Home Forums General Discussion Wellington City Council proposes to charge m/c parking

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey, I learned today that the Wellington City Council Strategy and Policy Committee is meeting over the next few days to consider items to be put into the Annual Plan for consultation. One of the things they will be considering is a fee for motorcycle parking in the city. If it happens here, you can bet your bottom dollar other Councils will follow.

Wellington City Annual Plan Consultation will be open to those concerned for a period of 4 weeks from 12 April 2006. Submissions can be made on the proposals contained in the Annual plan. Submission forms will be available online through the Council website, http://www.wellington.govt.nz

So, if you live in Wellington speak up. WCC say submissions on the issue should be made via the Council website but I'm getting in early with the following to the Mayor. Her email address is kerry.prendergast@wcc.govt.nz

"Dear Kerry, I have just learned today that Wellington City Council is proposing to charge a fee for motorcyclist to park in the city. I understand that there was to be a committee meeting to discuss the proposal today. I also understand that there was a web page for people to have their say on the matter. This web page appears to be unavailable now, probably due to the deadline for the meeting. I am a motorcycle commuter and I am annoyed that I didn't hear about this till today. I am more annoyed that I have not had the opportunity to air my opinion. I read the Dominion Post daily and have regular contact with other motorcycle commuters and I, as have many others, have never heard about this proposal. Indeed, when I wrote to you last year about the reduction in space for motorcycle parking on Grey Street, you gave me your assurance that you support the use of motorcycles for commuting and acknowledged the contribution made by motorcyclists in reducing the city's congestion problems. In any case, here are my views. Can you please pass them on to the person or committee involved with this issue. The proposal to charge motorcyclist a fee to park in Wellington city seems to be self-defeating. The proposed rate of $1 per hour equates to about the same daily rate as early bird parking for a car in a parking building. This will encourage the two wheeled commuters to take their car instead, and further add to congestion on Wellington streets. I have always seen free parking as reward for making the effort to take the bike and ease the congestion on the roads and parking. You have acknowledge this in the past".

Anyway, get onto it - berfore it's cheaper to take a bloody train 😥

Dave Morris
    Participant
    Garry.W wrote:
    Hey, I learned today that the Wellington City Council Strategy and Policy Committee is meeting over the next few days to consider items to be put into the Annual Plan for consultation. One of the things they will be considering is a fee for motorcycle parking in the city. If it happens here, you can bet your bottom dollar other Councils will follow.

Wellington City Annual Plan Consultation will be open to those concerned for a period of 4 weeks from 12 April 2006. Submissions can be made on the proposals contained in the Annual plan. Submission forms will be available online through the Council website, http://www.wellington.govt.nz

So, if you live in Wellington speak up. WCC say submissions on the issue should be made via the Council website but I'm getting in early with the following to the Mayor. Her email address is kerry.prendergast@wcc.govt.nz

"Dear Kerry, I have just learned today that Wellington City Council is proposing to charge a fee for motorcyclist to park in the city. I understand that there was to be a committee meeting to discuss the proposal today. I also understand that there was a web page for people to have their say on the matter. This web page appears to be unavailable now, probably due to the deadline for the meeting. I am a motorcycle commuter and I am annoyed that I didn't hear about this till today. I am more annoyed that I have not had the opportunity to air my opinion. I read the Dominion Post daily and have regular contact with other motorcycle commuters and I, as have many others, have never heard about this proposal. Indeed, when I wrote to you last year about the reduction in space for motorcycle parking on Grey Street, you gave me your assurance that you support the use of motorcycles for commuting and acknowledged the contribution made by motorcyclists in reducing the city's congestion problems. In any case, here are my views. Can you please pass them on to the person or committee involved with this issue. The proposal to charge motorcyclist a fee to park in Wellington city seems to be self-defeating. The proposed rate of $1 per hour equates to about the same daily rate as early bird parking for a car in a parking building. This will encourage the two wheeled commuters to take their car instead, and further add to congestion on Wellington streets. I have always seen free parking as reward for making the effort to take the bike and ease the congestion on the roads and parking. You have acknowledge this in the past".

Anyway, get onto it - berfore it's cheaper to take a bloody train 😥

sounds like the WCC can't eat strawberries. having problems processing the pips. geezus wot tightarses
    Murray
    Participant

WCC must have known they’d be picking a scrap. Councillor Pepperill was pleased to inform us today that the proposed $1 per hour parking fee had been voted off the Council agenda and he thanked the many people who responded. So a good result.

klhansennz
    Participant

Well ive just sent this morning a letter to Our Beloved Mayor bit late but hey its the thought and persistance that counts eh!!

Dear Kerry,

I have just learned today that Wellington City Council is proposing to charge a fee for motorcyclist to park in the city. I understand that there was to be a committee meeting to discuss the proposal today. I also understand that there was a web page for people to have their say on the matter. This web page appears to be unavailable now, probably due to the deadline for the meeting. I am a motorcycle commuter and I am annoyed that I didn't hear about this till today. I am more annoyed that I have not had the opportunity to air my opinion. I DO read the Dominion Post daily and have regular contact with other motorcycle commuters and I, as have many others, have never heard about this proposal…In any case, here are my views. Can you please pass them on to the person or committee involved with this issue. The proposal to charge motorcyclist a fee to park in Wellington city seems to be self-defeating. The proposed rate of $1 per hour equates to about the same daily rate as early bird parking for a car in a parking building. This will encourage the two wheeled commuters to take their car instead, and further add to congestion on Wellington streets. I have always seen free parking as reward for making the effort to take the bike and ease the congestion on the roads and parking.

Thanks for your time in reading this letter and I look forward to further correspondence with your office,

Regards

Brett Lindsay.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.