Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Vario vs alloy topbox?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

I would appreciate some feedback from anyone on the forum regarding topbox choices. I have just replaced my 2010 R1200GS which had Vario panniers and topbox with a new R1200GS with alloy panniers. I had thought to keep the Vario topbox on the new bike but when the alloy panniers arrived the brackets and fittings for the alloy topbox were included. The dealer says he can supply and fit a new alloy topbox and brackets for $1,250 giving me $300 credit for the Vario topbox and brackets.I am planning a reasonably challenging trip this year which will include some quite gnarly roads. Do you think the alloy topbox is sufficiently better than the Vario one to justify the additional cost?Any thoughts appreciated.Kennif

Anonymous
    Inactive

Alloy finish can get pitted, and the debate for aluminium vs plastic is a very long one indeed. Plastic doesn't get easily bent, but once it takes a hard knock you don't bash it back into shape (although after very hard knocks my aluminium ones weren't in any shape to be bashed back to normal).I'd also throw the Givi Trekker into the mix? I use one as a top box with aluminium panniers.

Murray
    Participant

Just how gnarly will the roads be that you’re travelling then Kennif? Have you given any thought to soft luggage instead? Not saying there’s anything wrong with hard luggage but on recent adventures there’s always been someone who, after a minor off, ends up with a broken sub-frame (the 1200GS seems to be particularly good at this), a smashed a lid on a pannier or lost a top box (as they vibrate like hell on corrugated gravel and need to be strapped down). In one case a while back a friend badly sprained an ankle when he caught his leg between a rock and his alloy pannier case, he was lucky he didn’t break his foot!Personally I’m not a fan of panniers, soft or hard; they make the bike a bit too wide for a start. I have a Touratech bag, which I really like, and a tank bag. I’ve got plenty of storage capacity, enough for the tools, first aid stuff, spare tubes (and the 5l of extra petrol I need) and everything else for 2 weeks away. I wouldn’t exactly say they’re stunning, but they look decent on the bike and they certainly get the job done. It’s also lighter than any kind of hard luggage I’d get for the HP2.IMG_1522.jpgThere’s still an argument for hard luggage. Stuff that's breakable is better off in hard panniers – less likely to get pulverized when you fall off - and they are also lockable, which is a bonus. I’m afraid to keep anything valuable on my bike when I’m away from it. It would be great to be able to lock my luggage and walk away from the bike to have a look around feeling like things are safe so hard panniers would be attractive to me for that reason. Ultimately, I know that’s a false sense of security but peace of mind knowing things are protected from casual passers-by is always nice.I suspect that whatever king of luggage is best will always be the topic of hot debate. I think the answer lies with the individual. I’m happy with my soft gear and the purpose it serves.Good luck on your travels.Garry

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

I was looking closely at your luggage Garry when you posted your recent pics.  I've always preferred a soft roll bag on the back just to keep the weight down as it's always an issue touring two up as we do.  However as I'm looking for options for panniers on the 800 I wonder if the Touratech soft luggage will sit over the tail plate to allow a pillion or must it sit on the rear seat.  Also what supports it to keep it off the muffler/paint work.

Dave Morris
    Participant

i agree with Gazza and malcie. Rear soft bag. I prefer roll bags and currently have 2. a 75 litre seibenrock one and a brand new Ortlieb one 93 l i think from touratech. keeps weight lower blah blah blah

Murray
    Participant

I'm looking for options for panniers on the 800 I wonder if the Touratech soft luggage will sit over the tail plate to allow a pillion or must it sit on the rear seat.  Also what supports it to keep it off the muffler/paint work.

The Touratech bag I have is made for the HP2 and is supported by the rear of the seat. It sits quite nicely about 2" above the muffler as the inners of the side panels on the bag are rigid. The 800GS tail is probably too wide to support a similar bag properly. I've just bought Jo a BMW softbag for her 800S, which has the same top-plate that fits the 800ST and GS. The base of the bag has a cavity that slides over the top plate to hold it in place and has four quick-release straps to lash it to the frame. It comes in small and large (something like 55L, which is plenty of space) and shouldn't get in the way of a pillion. It's really just like having a soft topbox. $300 from Motomart. That might be a good option for your 800 Malcolm.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi I have some Kriega bags, they give me lots of options and combinations and are not badly priced.I bought from Kriega australia..I also have a Kriega R30 rucsak which is the best I have ever used.Pete.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.