Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk valve cover guard design

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

I have suggested to one of my students to come up with a design for a new valve cover guard. This is for secondary school project. I am aware of the offerings from Stanton, Touratech and BMW.
    I have crash tested the original Touratech design and it didn't work for me. The original plastic guard just disappeared during a short slide. The Stanton guard seems to be the best, but also uses flimsy mounting points and seems quite expensive.

I would appreciate some feedback on your expectations for such a guard in terms of function and price. Your thoughts would be much appreciated. The design is intended for all 1150 engines.

nzjb65
    Participant

I’ve also been doing a bit of crash testing recently, and have the standard plastic guards.

The first, and most spectacular, involved a freefall through some young trees and old fridges/gas bottles, they managed to get inside the guards and scratch the valve covers to the bone.

The second, a rear-shunt, pushed the bike onto some fresh gravel and again the gap in the guards allowed the valve covers to get nicely scratched.

I'd be well up for a set of guards that did a bit more than catch flies - something with some heavy gauge, close weave wire mesh could probably cover more area and not impact on cooling. The metal guards I've seen from Touratech don't seem to cover that much of the head either. Whatever they cost would be a bit more than I was expecting were you thinking of having a sale?

Dave Ross

Thank you for your reply.
    The pupose of the exercise is that the student can gain Level 3 Technology Achievement Standards. I do believe that we can improve on what is available now. If the student can come up with a viable design it could be produced and sold. I will get him to post on this forum directly in order to get some feedback from members.

I don't think cooling is much of an issue, as the heads are oil cooled and do not seem to get extremely hot. BMW's new guards seem to cover most of it anyway. However, I think they could have done better. As there are many more 1150 engines around the student will focus on those.

We would really appreciate as much support as we can get.

Dave Morris
    Participant

sounds like if ya name is alex ya insurance premium should be twice the norm

Dave Ross

You are right, there should be cheaper insurance for guys who keep their bike parked inthe garage. You should put your case to JB.

Dave Morris
    Participant

getting them to make a big light wight sphere shaped ball to fit ya bikewith the front tyre and rear tyre just poking out to let ya steer and give ya some drive. safety harness ya self in

never damage ya bike

Dave Morris
    Participant

along the lines of this with the wheels sticking out the bottom

Dave Ross

I think I am starting to get the picture :-).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.