Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Tyres-for gravel and highway use

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

My F650 has a Michelin Anakee on the front and a Michelin T66 on the back and seems a bit unstable on gravel. Theres a lot of gravel roads inthe Wairarapa, plus sand , and good highway .Probable use will be 70 % highway 30 % off road.This has probably been discussed before, but any info will be appreciated.

Dave Ross

Gravel and stability usually don't go together all that well. You could try a set of TKC80 or Karoo on the bike, but they are quite expensive. I am assuming you have a 19' front wheel. That limits your choices a bit. To save money you should be able to fit a T63 on the rear.

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Some time ago I was talking to a rider who did a lot of gravel road riding, but found that the rear TKC80s had a very short lifetime. He was now running with TKC80 on the front and Tourance (or Anakee or similar) on the rear. Gravel stability with the TKC80, combined with highway grip with the dual-purpose rear. The best of both worlds, he claimed. I haven't tried it myself, but will consider it when the Pirelli Scorpion Trails wear out. These have the best highway grip of any dual-purpose tyres I've tried, but are also the most expensive. Not the best on gravel, though.

aegis4805
    Participant

What Koko and Artig have said – TKC80 is the best – expensive though – I'm currently running a TKC80 front and Tourance rear on my 1150. Another excellent dual sport tyre IMO is the Mitas E07 or E09

Anonymous
    Inactive

Agree with Aslan. Been running TKC80's on the front since new (25000km ago) and last 2x rear tyres has been the Mitas E09: this is the closest tread pattern to TKC80 or T63 – but for me lasted 2x as long as the Conti and only around $200. Seems the best value. Of note, I was lucky enough to do BMW Off Road Skills training in Wales in July: their bikes are almost all set up with TKC80's – but mine had the Mitas E09 on the back, just like at home! Peter

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a very similar requirement, expecting to do around 50% seal, 30 % gravel and 20% off-road on my F650GS. I looked at all the options a couple of months ago and ended up buying a pair of Heidenhau K60's. These are not quite as aggressive in the tread as a TK80 and the tread knobs are in chevron pattern rather than in lines across the tyre. That is supposed to give a smoother transition from knob to knob making the ride on seal more comfortable. They were a good price too. I don't have them on my bike yet but I'm hoping that these will be a good compromise tyre, sufficient performance on the seal and enough grip off-road.HeidenhauK602.jpgHeidenhauK601.jpg

Dave Ross

I'd forgotten about these. Heidenau is a former East German tyre manufacturer. Their tyres have a pretty good reputation. I suppose are a budget tyre in Germany, but there seems to be quite a mark-up over here. I am sure  you'll be quite happy with them. Peter's tip with the Mitas is quite good as well. He's been unstoppable 🙂 on his F800GS.

Murray
    Participant

Probable use will be 70 % highway 30 % off road /quote] Don't go with knobs then, 70% road use will wear them out quicker than you need/want to and, as has been said, TKCs or anything equivalent are not cheap.Mitas or Heidenau would suit. I get round the Wairarapa quite a bit on a set of Conti Trail Attacks, last for ages and brilliant on the road.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Well…..didnt expect so many suggestions! But all good and very much appreciate the response,just like this good weather we are having.Will make some enquiries re costs but do like the look of the Heidenhau K60 or the Mitas/TKC combo. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bit of a no brainer………make sure tyres are inflated to correct pressures . Both were down !

Dave Ross

Slightly lower pressure on gravel is a good thing.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the help everyone ….Have just made arrangements to pick up new K60 Heidenhau,s  front is 100/90-19 and rear is 140/80-17 ,rear is slightly bigger than BMW say. Cost $302 for rear ,$174 for front /ouch!What the heck ,ya cant take it with you, money that is.Plan to keep some records and give some feedback to the forum .

Dave Ross

Cool, hope they go well for you.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Fitted the K 60 Hedinhau,s and have done approx 400k ,tarseal and gravel,nice grey look on surface of tyres.My hearing is not that flash but i reckon the old girl(bike that is) is a lot quieter on the road.I also took the handlebar extension of,that was on the bike when i bought it,and the unit is a whole lot more comfortable to ride.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.