Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Tyres for 1150GS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hey all,it's that time again for a new rear tyre. Currently have a Pirelli Scorpian with 18,000 k's on it.. Heard that Coni have a new one out for the GS style.Has anyone heard anything or have a good tyre they use??Dave

Arne Rohde
    Participant

I fitted a set of the new Continental Trail Attacks on a 1200GS a few months ago, but haven't done many kms since then, so I haven't got any longevity data. However, they are the most road-oriented of the different dual-sport tyres I've tried, which suits me fine. So far I'm happy with their performance and feel.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bike Magazine ran a test in June 2007 using the 1200GS and they reckoned on Dunlop D607 Trailmax, or the Avon AM43/44 Distanzia as a good compromise for off-road/road use.  I've got Metzeler Tourance on my 1150GS and they seem just fine for my commuting/quick hoon/occasional bit of off-road use, they seem to be wearing well too.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

My Bridgestone Battlewings 501/502 are on their last leg at 13000km. Possibly good for another 1000km at the most. Gravel cuts them up pretty good. They are ok on the road and quite a bit cheaper than the Tourance, but you get what you pay for. I am not sure what I will use next.

Tony Russell
    Participant

Haven't had a GS, but on my two 955 Tigers and my two Varaderos , I used Michelin Anakee with great success. Bridgestones wore out very quickly – ca 3000 miles – and front tires got stepped and noisy. Metzelrs OK, but short lived.If you ride mostly tarmac, I strongly recommend Michelin Pilot Road II. Tried them on the Varadero and it was transformed. Currently using them on Gottfried RT - had 2 sets, 3rd is about to go on. Bl**** marvellous stuff. No chicken strips! 😀

Anonymous

Sorry but I will need to see a photo of the no chicken strips with you riding the bike :roll:. I still have them on my HP2 and that thing can corner I have to at times take my foot off the footrest to lean the bike more and still have chicken strips 😮 😀

Tony Russell
    Participant

Well, Kiwi Adventure, I may have blown my horn a little too loudly  😀 – there IS actually a chicken strip on the front tire, measures exactly 4mm wide. The rear, however, has no such embarrassing markings…..Does that make it a draw??And yes, I know the rear is clapped out - that's why I've got a new pair of Michelins waiting for it.  😉P1000270.jpgP1000271.jpg

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wot's a “chicken strip”?

Anonymous

Svein you have done well. My HP2 road tires have the same chicken strip left. It is hard to get the bikes over that far but it is fun when you can. My 1200rt is almost there. The feeling is great when you get it right around a fast corner.

Anonymous

Wot's a "chicken strip"?

It is left and right part of the tyre tread which has not been used on the road unless you lean the bike over in the corners. The less you have the better the rider you are, so it goes.If you look at the above pictures you will see some dark black rubber on the left and right of the tires.   

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks for the illumination…never thought of it that way…duh! 😛

Tony Russell
    Participant

Svein you have done well.

Thank you ....flattery will get you anywhere 😀Anyway, considering I'm 60 in two months time and ride with my wife of nearly same age on pillion 90% of the time (and she only occasionally nudges me and mutters something about me not being 18 anymore...), I do feel a modest pride over the miniscule chicken stripes 😆

Anonymous

Svein you have done well.

Thank you ....flattery will get you anywhere 😀Anyway, considering I'm 60 in two months time and ride with my wife of nearly same age on pillion 90% of the time (and she only occasionally nudges me and mutters something about me not being 18 anymore...), I do feel a modest pride over the miniscule chicken stripes 😆

Forget being 60 soon. I have heard so many in there 60s saying they are too old to do this any more. Talk about digging an early grave! enjoy it and keep riding the way you do. Its all in the head.  🙄

honeybear.2399
    Participant

Svein you have done well. My HP2 road tires have the same chicken strip left. It is hard to get the bikes over that far but it is fun when you can. My 1200rt is almost there. The feeling is great when you get it right around a fast corner.

I can see I will have to get the bike up on the centrestand and get the angle grinder out .  Phil

Tony Russell
    Participant

I reckon that when I pay for the whole tyre, I might as well use all of it… 😀Stretching resources and beneficial for the climate .... PC 😆Besides, those PR II Michelins are pretty good stuff on tarmac......

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.