Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Trickle Charger, which one?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Thanks Steve, I'll see where I can find one like that. Alex

Anonymous

Hi Alex, I just had  a look in the jaycar catalogue they got chargers from 29.95 to 275.00 I sure you find something there for your needs and they know what bthey are talking about Jaycars is on the corner of boston and kyber pass or in wairau rd on the shore cheers christoph

Dave Ross

Thanks for that , we have an account at Jaycar. I should have thought of that.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I picked up a cheap SLA trickle charger from Jaycar and a 7 day timer from Bunnings to look after my bike battery. I have the timer set to come on one day a week just to maintain the battery. If I am out riding on that day then I have charged the battery the proper way.

Dave Ross

I've bought a battery charger a couple of weeks ago at Motomail, they had one on special. I suspect my airhead's battery is dying. During summer I will ride it at least once a week, that should take care of the battery as well

Anonymous
    Inactive

Some  comments about trickle charging using the power outlet seem quite scary when cautioning about possible stuffing up the ECU.  I've an old charger that has looked after a succession of car/bike batteries over the years.  Can I use this to charge my 1997 K1100 battery through the power outlet without causing megabucks of electronic damage?  Can I safely assume that the positive lead from the charger connects to the centre pin?  Any particular sequence of connecting/switching on ignition?

Dave Ross

I've got my airehead on a trickle charge hooked up the accessory plug as I type. In my case it's probably a waste of time, as I suspect that the battery is faulty.  I thought the problem was with the new bikes. I am sure Garry will know if this is a problem for your bike as well.

Murray
    Participant

Some  comments about trickle charging using the power outlet seem quite scary when cautioning about possible stuffing up the ECU.   I've an old charger that has looked after a succession of car/bike batteries over the years.  Can I use this to charge my 1997 K1100 battery through the power outlet without causing megabucks of electronic damage?  Can I safely assume that the positive lead from the charger connects to the centre pin?   Any particular sequence of connecting/switching on ignition?

Bryan, the reference to damage occurring when using the power outlet only applies to those models with a CANbus system, i.e. about 2004 onwards depending on the model. Your '97 K1100 will give you no problems if you shove a charger of any sort in the power outlet, the positive lead should connect with the centre pin.CheersGarry

Warren
    Participant

I found this site to be most informative regarding batteries.http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.htmlSlak

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thank you all for your comments; I feel much more confident about it now!

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.