Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Torque wrenches. any suggestions?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Am looking to buy a torque wrench but not sure what size head I should get. I’m getting it for low level servicing stuff so spark plugs, drain plugs, centre & side stand etc. Also not sure how accurate (=$$$) I need to be, most wrenches I’ve seen in shops are +/- 4% whilst others boast +/- 2%.

Anyone out there using one that they'd recommend?

Thanks

PS : I currently have a 'talk wench', who has been quite expensive over the years, and has issues with accuracy (mine mostly) nor does she like being wound up too much.

Murray
    Participant
    AlexW wrote:
    I currently have a ‘talk wench’, who has been quite expensive over the years, and has issues with accuracy (mine mostly) nor does she like being wound up too much.

You shouldn't talk about the person who ultimately makes decisions on what toys you have Alex 😆

I have a Powerbuilt 3/8� Dr Calibrated from 5 to 80 foot pounds, 0.7 to 11.1 meter kilograms. I like it as it is one of the few with a patented mechanism that automatically ‘releases’ the wrench when the preset torque is reached. Reasonably accurate, not too expensive as far as I recall and sufficinet for all work in my wee garage. Part number is 644045 and places like Repco will have in stock.
    nzjb65
    Participant

Thanks for that, will check them out.

Looks like a good weekend for spanner turning.

Dave Ross

Looks like this is what I need as well. I’ve got one, but I don’t have much confidence in it. I will be servicing the GS myself from know on. It’s enough if the litte GS get pampered in the shop.

Murray
    Participant
    Kokopelli wrote:
    I will be servicing the GS myself from know on.

GS out of warranty now is it 😛
    Dave Ross

It’s been out of warranty since may last year. So far all it has needed was a final drive seal. I used to service my old CX500. The GS can’t be all that different under the valve cover.

Stuart Burns
    Participant

For what it’s worth, I’ve carried out all servicing on my 1100S and 1150GS, over a total of 110,000k’s and the only remotely difficult operation is balancing the throttle bodies. I’ve got a Calamander electronic balancer which is absurdly accurate and seems to do a better job than fully trained BMW techies! Any time anyone wants to have a go with it, I’d be more than happy to oblige. (and offer assistance as required) Any sunday morning, Helensville.

Dave Ross

Thanks, I’ll be seeing you then in 35ookm 😀

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.