Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Top box for GS

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Looking at an alternative to the bmw vario top box.I looked at the givi top boxes but wondered if you could suggest other types thanks  NOD

Dave Ross

I don't like top boxes. I don't like the look of them, and I think they are useless for riding on difficult terrain. For this reason I prefer soft luggage as an alternative. Currently I have a tank bag strapped to my rear seat.  Touratech has some great bags. They are bloody expensive, but the small one I have has lived on the back of my GS for over 6 years and almost 110000km. It is faded, but still works as well as the day I bought it. Recently Gerda has a bought a large one for her F650GS/2. These bags are very well-made.

Nico Linde
    Participant

I have a givi tail bag on the back just now but when my lady and I tour around together and we take our big digi cameras and zoom lenes there is not much room for anything else,I usually stay off real rough stuff until I am solo then carry small camera

Dave Ross

Well, not sure if there is an alternative to a Givi box. They seem to be the most reasonably priced option. With the right adapter plate you can fit almost anything. The factory topboxes had a tendency to fall off. I guess you wouldn't want that to happen with your camera gear in it, but I guess they would have solved that problem by now.

honeybear.2399
    Participant

I have a givi tail bag on the back just now but when my lady and I tour around together and we take our big digi cameras and zoom lenes there is not much room for anything else,I usually stay off real rough stuff until I am solo then carry small camera

No way would I put my Cameras in a top box on the back of a bike. Have seen what happens to fruit in a top box? 😥  You end up with " Fruit Juice"

Anonymous

Carted my Canon film SLR around all over GodZone in a pissy wee K100 topbox, that vibrated like billyoh, then in the bigas Givi that replaced it, no worries. Cart my replacement, bigas Canon DSLR (luvvit, luvvit) around in the sideboxes of the eleven-hundy-ess, no worries. Cameras ain't fruit.If I am in the kayaks, I use a VERY waterproof foam lined case, even for my wee pointy-snappy Olympus Mu: cameras and salt water do not get on at all well.Ian Thornton, from the 'Naki, a photog of some repute, also carts his cameras in a top box, though he has an RT, which is kinda gentle and pussy compared to the R1100S. 😀

Anonymous
    Inactive

I have a 'Cargo' tank bag that attaches with magnets, sounds a bit dodgy but I've never had any problems with it slipping off, and it has the advantage of being easily accessible while you're on the bike, so ideal for my camera. I reckon you could probably get 5-6kg in there. I find the weight at the front easier to handle than a top box at the back.Of course, you'll need a metal tank. http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/2466

Tim BLAKE
    Participant

Didn't see your post earlier and you may have already found what you are looking for. I have fitted a SW Motech Trax top case to my R1150GS and find it really great. Dustproof, waterproof and with some padding even take my laptop touring with me on occasion. Can be seen on  http://www.mo-tech.de/sonstige_dokumente/trax.pdfI try to put the heavier stuff in the side panniers but can't say I've noticed much difference in the handling (unlike on my R90S) and I keep at least the top case on nearly all the time

Nico Linde
    Participant

Thanks 90S got some great info of the web site listed

Tim BLAKE
    Participant

Attached is a picture of it fitted to the bike. I bought mine in Aussie. I was told that the NZ SW-motech agents (Darbi) are only bringing in the soft luggage range (Bags Connections). I found some in Perth that were cheaper than Twisted Throttle but they don't ship to NZ so I picked them up when I was over thereQueensBD_090531_3034http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3328/3588165887_2d83d17219_o.jpg

Nico Linde
    Participant

Hooking over to Perth at the end of july ,feel abit of shop hunting coming on

Anonymous
    Inactive

Our riding is two up on a 1200gs, were using BMW Topbox and Tankbag, approx 42 ltrs capacity. Have just purchased Ventura Aero spada 51ltr and Aero Delta 35 ltr which  zips to the Spada.Gives us 86 ltrs capacity, less weight [top box and fittings 6 kg] and  no messing with Tank bag when re fuelling. PS also recommended to buy Ventura storm cover.Trying out soon  will keep you posted.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ventura Spada and Delta combo soft luggage/ great success. Went away for the weekend to a Wedding, took clothes for wedding, gaint bacon and egg pie, two bottles of wine and stuff.Lighter coming home. Delta bag gave pilion good occasional back rest, was'nt overly concious of weight overhang from  full Spada bag being a problem. Rode a number of back country metal/dirt roads in showery weather, definately need  the storm cover for anything heavier than a shower. Combined bags easy to lift off rack. Lots of side pockets. Obvious option of useing just one bag only if needed. Prefer this system to side panniers to keep our width down on narrow country roads.Well priced at about $600 for rack and bags, and MADE IN NZ. Keep a Kiwi in a job.

Nico Linde
    Participant

Thanks for the reply's guy's

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.