Home Forums General Discussion Took the F650GS onto the gravel for the first time!!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Re slippery downhills with clutch out; when approaching  a steep downhill on  a trails bike the clutch is drawn in to stop the rear wheel locking up on compression, this way you can feel what the tyres are doing, standing helps as you can move your weight forward and backward .Paddling is least desirable  but is sometimes the only option if balance is difficult, eg heavy deep clay ruts etc. If I want to travel slower than the engine speed I draw the  clutch because a turning wheel stops faster than a locked one.Best way take a mate and find a steepisk grass paddock and have a play.Cheers Pete.  🙂

clive.chapman
    Participant

Hey Scott,You sure it wasn't all that training you had on the Adventure at Makairo? Karl

AndI had a very interesting moment  😮This was the first time I had taken the bike onto the gravel, so with over 1/2 worn tyres and a dry and loose gravel surface I thought it would be a good testNow I have done my far share of gravel riding, but mainly on lighter dual purpose bikes  😆Today I headed out and soon felt that I could manage this bike without too many problems. I managed the first few corners and then the confidence grew, and so did the speed  😀Then on a fast downhill into a sharpening left hander, I kinda forgot which bike I was on, as I applied the front brake with a bit of force, then onto the rear, I felt the bike skitter and pulse, then in an instant I rememered I had ABS brakes  😮Now also coming from a rally racing background, this is the first thing we disconnect (along with the ABS), and I knew this could be trouble, but in an instant I remembered this bike has plenty of power and I had no other option than to twist that throttle and hope for the best!! 👿It worked, and I made it around the corner without too much trouble, but I must admit my heart rate went up a few beats It is good that I can turn the ABS off, which i will do on the next gravel road.Just thought I would share my experiences Regards Scott

Anonymous

Re slippery downhills with clutch out; when approaching  a steep downhill on  a trails bike the clutch is drawn in to stop the rear wheel locking up on compression, this way you can feel what the tyres are doing, standing helps as you can move your weight forward and backward .Paddling is least desirable  but is sometimes the only option if balance is difficult, eg heavy deep clay ruts etc. If I want to travel slower than the engine speed I draw the  clutch because a turning wheel stops faster than a locked one.Best way take a mate and find a steepisk grass paddock and have a play.Cheers Pete.  🙂

I don't agree if the rear wheel locks up you can increase the speed slightly so the rear will not lock up or use a higher gear. You will have more control with braking.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Oh well cant change the habit of a life time.

Anonymous

Oh well cant change the habit of a life time.

How true 😉

Brian TANNER
    Participant

Using the rear brake on loose gravel with ABS on is like trying to stop on an ice rink ! The front brake has greater stopping power although should be used with some gentle rear brake too.  2 up its not an issue as the weight makes the rear brake more effective.  Solo its @##@ dangerous relying on the rear with ABS. if I am going to go any distance at speed then I switch ABS off – its much safer and more reliable as one can use the rear brake more effectively.  And it only takes a few seconds to stop and switch it off.  I agree 100% re engine braking going down hill – i would never contemplate going down a steep section of gravel  with ABS on ! Rich

Anonymous
    Inactive

Small Bikes; ,Kapiti Motor Cycles have a number of BETA 400 and 450 enduro bikes for sale,They are able to be road registered, I had one for a weekend and did a comparison with the KTM. Although BETA has a KTM engine the Chassis and the rest of the bike are all BETA.After a couple of hours on each bike the joint opinion was the BETA was much easier to ride hands down.Kapiti motorcycles have allways given me top service,The 400 was a bit more mellow than its big brother .The Guy to speak to is John Lawton 04 2970240.I am looking at a 450 to acompany my DAKAR for the more knarly stuff.Cheers Pete.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.