Home Forums General Discussion Took the F650GS onto the gravel for the first time!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

AndI had a very interesting moment  😮This was the first time I had taken the bike onto the gravel, so with over 1/2 worn tyres and a dry and loose gravel surface I thought it would be a good testNow I have done my far share of gravel riding, but mainly on lighter dual purpose bikes  😆Today I headed out and soon felt that I could manage this bike without too many problems. I managed the first few corners and then the confidence grew, and so did the speed  😀Then on a fast downhill into a sharpening left hander, I kinda forgot which bike I was on, as I applied the front brake with a bit of force, then onto the rear, I felt the bike skitter and pulse, then in an instant I rememered I had ABS brakes  😮Now also coming from a rally racing background, this is the first thing we disconnect (along with the ABS), and I knew this could be trouble, but in an instant I remembered this bike has plenty of power and I had no other option than to twist that throttle and hope for the best!! 👿It worked, and I made it around the corner without too much trouble, but I must admit my heart rate went up a few beats It is good that I can turn the ABS off, which i will do on the next gravel road.Just thought I would share my experiences Regards Scott

aegis4805
    Participant

glad you managed to stay upright Scott – quick reflexes! Well done.Hope you're enjoying your new steed  😉

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I wish I could say the same, my neck is still sore.

Anonymous

This has worked for me when the ABS is on and I find the ABS works well going down step gravel hills and even dirt tracks. Pick the gear you would be happy to ride down the hill in and don't pull the clutch in when slowing down for corners. The rear may lock up, but the front wheel will not so you will not loose the front end of the bike. I find I can ride alot faster this way on my 1200gs and 1150 gsa I had. If you do pull the clutch in you may not have much braking at all.  😮 

honeybear.2399
    Participant

(quote) “If you do pull the clutch in you may not have much braking at all.” ( Unquote) You should never disengage the motor when going down hill in mud or gravel, you are in danger of locking up the back when you reengage, same applies in a corner. Anyone else like to comment?  Phil

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I couldn't quite follow the above. I've tried ABS on gravel with Gerda's bike. It was fine. Although, I can see how it might be a problem depending on the surface condition and the speed you are travelling at. On steep decents you may consider turning off the engine, putting it in gear and using the clutch to control your speed, together with the front brake. This way you can waddle down with both legs on the ground.To slow down on gravel I use mainly the front brake, the rear tends to lock up very quickly. You usually get an amazing amount of grip from the front. If not,  your are too fast for the conditions, aim for something soft. As always, speed only becomes a problem if you have to stop in a hurry, anyone can twist the throttle and go fast, but it takes skill to stop.I use the rear brake mainly at slow speeds on loose surfaces.

Murray
    Participant

Tricks of the trade – the biggest problem with the fuel injection on the 650GS models is the inability to hold engine back at very low revs downhill, the engine management system keeps the revs up to aviod stalling the thing. One option that worked well on the Dakar (and the standard GS would be no different) on steep downhills (ABS or not) is to hit the kill switch while you're in second gear (or first if you're worried about a bit of downhill speed) and let the engine braking control your descent. As long as you leave the ignition on there are no ill effects on the engine management system, and a restart once you've got where your going is just a matter of thumbing the start button. Used this technique many times on the Carrick Track and other great piecces of country we've visited on numerous occassions.PS - gavity is a good thing, right up there with momentum.

Anonymous

This is where we differ.  I've gone faster with more control down hill with the ABS on and using both rear and front brakes, but like I said never pull the clutch in and try and brake. You will not stop. You can change gear without the clutch. I have never had a problem with my 1150 or 1200 not holding the speed down on down hill runs. The HP has great brakes better than any of my past BMW bikes, as well great engine braking. The only time I've  lost the front was in a field of clover. It was like riding on ice.I'm always using the rear brake on gravel. This helps with getting the rear out which helps with getting around a corner if you are going to fast, also  counter steering helps. If you reliy on the front brake only you will come off 🙄

Anonymous
    Inactive

And I'm sitting here, keen to learn how to ride gravel and the diffeing opinions aren't helping me.So here's my question I want to learn to ride gravel competantly. Where do I start?  😕Also how do you spell competently?  🙄Is there a spellchecker button that I'm missing?

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

And I'm sitting here, keen to learn how to ride gravel and the diffeing opinions aren't helping me.So here's my question I want to learn to ride gravel competantly. Where do I start?  😕Also how do you spell competently?  🙄Is there a spellchecker button that I'm missing?

No spell check in this forum due to the size of the dictionary file. You have four options, learn how to spell (joke :evil:), put up with the possible mistakes, type in word and cut and paste or use the Firefox browser with the spell check add on. As my spelling has not improved in over 25 years, I have gone with the Firefox option.I'll assume that you won't be taking the F800 on gravel. My advice is to start slowly and get the feel for it. Try to relax. You will get more confident as you get used to the movement of your bike. You'll have to do it often. Then you will scare yourself and slow down again. After a while things will improve and you'll think you know what your doing. Then you'll bang your helmet on the ground with your head in it (I am at this stage). Next you will promise to  be more careful and try to learn from your mistakes. The trick is to ride at your own pace and to enjoy the scenery. 🙂

Anonymous

Is there a spellchecker button that I'm missing?

down load Google tool bar this has spell check. I need it 😀A small bike like a 125 is best to start on. Get a cheap one because you will come off. Watch out for Kiwi Rider training days. BMW have said for years they will have some, but never have since I got back riding. 🙄

Anonymous
    Inactive

Actually done about 20km's gravel on the F800 and didn't enjoy it. Until I got through. I discovered guys in beat up utes with dogs on the back are very confident on this stuff. That's all that passed me either way. Except for the one that stopped to let me know that while I'd only done a few km's on the gravel I didn't have far to go to the end. I later discovered he was lying or just had no idea what "not far" was. I would have been far better off turning around. Looking back the experience was worth it.I was actually thinking about getting a 250cc - 450cc and was thinking of a light bike. Something I could ride by road to where I want to ride off road, then go off road and come back. I was thinking four stroke. I hadn't thought about dropping it but it does seem reasonable that it will fall over a lot. I'll have to add that to the winter shopping list. If I make it a 250cc then someone I know can use it to learn on.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I would choose a 250, they've got enough power to go, but not enough to scare you. We have an XLR200 but that's a but down on power. If seat height is an issue than the DR200 is a good bike to use. Other than that, a lighter bike is better and much easier to ride. John G. had a Honda  for sale, if you are interested I'll ask him if it's still available.

Murray
    Participant

This is where we differ. 

Differ? From me? ABS on gravel is neither here nor, I did not allud to pulling clutch and braking, and I know, (from experience mind you) that too much front brake is always going to hurt.The HP2 has great brkaes and is the best fun I've had on gravel for ages  😀Desamo, I've got a nice XT250 for sale. Best way to learn on gravel is to get out on it often enough with some mates and experiment a bit. Have fun!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

Okay, two stroke or four stroke. I was thinking four because… well, I don't like the smell of the two strokes. I flatted with a two stroke rider years ago and his room, clothes and everything smelt like kerosene. I also note that when riding I can smell a two stroke long before I see it. Other than that what's best here.The 200 and 250 both sound like reasonable options. Thanks.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.