Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk tire reccomendations

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi guys,I am not too far off from buying a new set of tyres and wondered if there were any tyres that were better than others? I have read that you should fit what the bike originally came with, and I have Metzlers on now, but with 55,000Kms they are obviously not the originals, so wondered if anyone knew what tyres were standard or what recommendations you have. I am a normal road rider, not much if any off road or metal road riding, looking for good grip, good all weather use and good mileage and don’t need super sticky for my style of riding?I like the Metzlers apart from the centre line groove on the front tyre, but if there are some better then I would be keen to know.  🙄Thanks in advance,Mike

Murray
    Participant

Give the Conti Sport Attack a go Mike. I'm been using theTrail Attacks on the HP and cannot remember a time prior that tyres inspired confidence to such a degree. Go here for a look.

Grant Freeman
    Participant

Hi NZGSer,Thanks for the recommendation, I shall check up on them and see what they are about. You were going to add a link on the bottom of your message but it did not happen?"Go here for a look" 😕Your Trial attacks certainly look as though they work from your photo! 😐Cheers,Mike

Murray
    Participant

"Go here for a look" 😕

Run your cursor over the "here" in that sentence and click  😀

Jim Young
    Participant

I am currently using Continental Road Attacks on my 1200GS and think they are the best tyre I have ever had on it, be lucky to get 8 to 9000km out of the back one though.

honeybear.2399
    Participant

Sport Attacks  on front with Road Attacks  on rear thats the way I go for what it's worth.

Grant Freeman
    Participant

Thanks for the redirection to the interactive 'here' – I clicked on it and went to the web site. Nice looking tyres, I shall check my tyre sizes and see if they fit in with what is offered.Who sell's them?I am in Hamilton, but could travel north of the bombays if necessary.Cheers,Mike

Murray
    Participant

Thanks for the redirection to the interactive 'here' - I clicked on it and went to the web site. Nice looking tyres, I shall check my tyre sizes and see if they fit in with what is offered.Who sell's them?I am in Hamilton, but could travel north of the bombays if necessary.Cheers,Mike

If you're running standard 17" rims with a 120/70 ZR front and a 170/60 ZR rear Conti Road Attacks are available. Darbi Accessories is the distributor. Any bike shop could get them for you. Try Hamilton M/Cs, support your dealer.

rob_n_roxy
    Participant

Better check your rear before buying the tyres – I think you'll find it's an 18″er. (160/60).

Mark Williams
    Participant

Mike,I have Conti Road Attacks on both from and rear.  They transformed my bike.  A recent trip into the South Island proved their worth.Regards 😎

pdmeikle57
    Participant

I'll get in on this thread as I'll be up for at least one and probably both tyres on the 850 in a couple of months.Currently it's running Metzlers... anyone tried these and Conti's and have a grip/handling/wear comparison??Back a couple or three years I replaced the dunlops on my 1100RT with Avon azaro's(think they were azaro's) and found they transformed the handling of the bike.cheersTracy

David
    Participant

I've had 4 sets of Metzeler Roadtec Z6 on my R1100RT in the past 3 years. I got 17k out of the first set but swapped them out at 15k regardless after than. If you have a set you can happily ride 200km with the  'canvas' showing (it's steel blockhead!), I would happily used them again. I changed to Michelin Pilot Road CT2 for the recent Rusty Nuts MC Southern Cross Road Rally (they were being specialled at the time) and have done 7500km approx since fitting them. My first impression was how quiet they were, I thought there was something wrong with the engine when I rode away from the shop then realised it wasnt being drowned out by tyre (note the spelling) noise. The very different handling took a while to get used to, especially as the tyre would occassionally 'squirm' when hard over (for me) and 'going for the doctor', the softer compund quite evident. The sides where 'feathered' like a race bike after a brisk bit of winding road.  😀I had a puncture at 1k and put an Innovations temporary plug in it. No pressure loss after 100km and another 170km at normal bike speeds (you choose  🙂 ) before getting a vulcanised plug and patch fitted at Cycletreads. "Good for the max speed of the bike and the life of the tyre mate!" Writing all this makes me wanna go ride  😥

Grant Freeman
    Participant

Hi Guys,After a long period of deliberation and reading about tyres, I settled on the Michelin Road Pilot CT2 tires and so far, I am very pleased with them. Like DickT, I noticed also how quiet they are after the Metzler Lazertech's and the steering is lighter too.More interesting though, is that with the tire change, they have fitted two 7 gram balancing weights on both front and rear wheels and prior to this there were no weights fitted to either wheel. At speeds up to 60KPH I did not notice any difference, but above that, then the bike is noticeably smoother.I wonder now if the Metzlers were home fitted or the balancing weights have fallen off over a period of time.One more job to do now - change the front brake pads as one is down to 2mm, so a overhaul of the calipers is also called for I guess.Cheers,Mike 🙂   

David
    Participant

I'm at 127000k and have changed the front pads twice and rear once. I only use BMW pads. There should be no need to stuff around with anything else. I did the brake disc bobbins at 80000k as they were worn and the disc rattled a lot at low speed, used parts from Motobins, half the price and twice the life. (steel instead of alloy). The rear brake caliper sliders may need some lub as they can seize up.cheers

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

$170 a side vs. $55. I am happy with the set I got from Cycletreads I think they were EBC.  I am @ 126000km and I've installed one set of BMW front pads and just recently a set of EBC pads. Also replaced the rear pads for the first time. They still had a bit of life in them, but after 120000km they were looking forward to their retirement.Once I hit 200000km I'll have to spring for new front discs, but that's still 3 years away.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.