Home Forums General Discussion Thoughts on R1200RT, R1200R, with luggage

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Anyone got any thoughts on the R1200R?I have an R1200RT 09 with full luggage, and I'm considering an R1200R for work, but which I can switch my RT luggage over onto.I understand the new 1200R has different luggage mountings, so I might have to look for an old model.Just interested in thoughts.Daffy

Mark Mackay
    Participant

They just sold all of the old models ( that's DOHC air cooled ) for $20k wich is a good price for a new BMW. Another good buy is the F800 GT for $18k with luggage. Then theirs the new R1200 RS due out soon,were do You draw the line. What about the new Yamaha MT-09 tracer $17500 with bags or will the Web Master bar Me from this site.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Are those panniers not keyed to the bike? So swapping the panniers over would then require two different keys, unless you get new locks (if the mounting works).I would ask what you're looking for. What would the R offer you that the RT wouldn't? Switching bikes always costs money (at least in my eyes) so I tend to think about it carefully. If you wanted something a bit less "dressed" I would have thought something more mid range might even suit better (especially if you're instructing around town).Phil from Riderskills uses an ST1300. You'd know what the Canty blokes use.

Mark Mackay
    Participant

Second thoughts the way motorcycles drop in value when the Ks get up a bit, just use the RT and if it all works out OK  and You make a few dollars buy a new RT LC . Claim the GST and depreciation . But You keep using the current RT for work. Just thoughts. Did those liner bags turn up?

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Thanks Gremlin and RichardK Essentially the accountant has said that it makes sense to have a bike solely for work. There are tax and depreciation benefits. That means either selling my RT to myself and maintaining a log of what private use I do, or simply buying another bike.A friend of mine up north bought a new Triumph Tiger 800 to use as his instructor bike,  and he loves it. Plenty of capability for open road instruction and slow speed stuff too. He bought Triumph as it's his fifth Triumph. I'm a BMW person so it pains me to think of anything else.The R1200R being able to take my top box and panniers is a real benefit. Factory bags cost a bomb, so having 2 bikes that I could swap the bags over on would be a real benefit. The keys issue is a small issue. Boyds have a 2014 1200R for about $20K. It has and 5000 km on it, so virtually new. It would cost more than that for an 800GT, which was my other choice. The HTC would be more economical and cheaper to service. The 1200 would be a little more capable, and it has the more relaxed upright position. It would be a good bike for observed road rides.That's some of my reasoning. The bike at Boyds is the Dark White variant,  and it looks cool.Basically I'm seeing the accountant in a few days, it'll depend to sone extent on his advice.I really can't see myself instructing from a big tourer. And for sure not from a 1300ST. I just didn't click with it when I rode the new work one, and the 60 km service intervals just won't work for me.I've said it before, brand loyalty is big for me, despite the battles I've had.

Russell Taylor
    Participant

It's a real case of first world problems.Yes Richard, pannier liners sorted.

Anonymous
    Inactive

artig may want to separate this discussion into it's own thread… I don't have the ability.

It's a real case of first world problems.

Nice problem to have tho. You'd definitely want to make certain the bags fit the bike, unfortunately I don't have an RT to test (actually, I'll ask someone on the weekend, might be able to investigate for you), and no experience with the R. Motor is obvious enough tho.Otherwise, I would suggest considering a 12GS. If you have dialogue with Carey, he's changed to one recently (LC). Upright position, some even prefer the GS for touring over the RT, as it's a more flexible platform. Gearing wise, it's also geared lower than the RT. Depends what sort of training you're doing, on road, carpark (ie, you don't end up riding much), or, dare I suggest... track?  ;DA bit of weather protection might prove desirable during most of the year (ie, when it isn't summer, so about 11 months of the year). I think a bike that looks big also helps with visibility on roads, I can't help but think the R has the ability to hide a little, per se, single round headlight could be anything... Anything smaller than the 1200s means no shaft, not sure you'd want to take a step back maintenance wise? (at least in my view anyway).Anything over 800cc odd should be fine for open road. After all, limit is 100kph, exceed by a little overtaking, 800cc is fine for that. When observing for IAM, it's a mixture of town and country, obviously country is more enjoyable, but there is plenty to learn (plus dangers) in town. The most important thing is you being comfortable and familiar with the bike. Even the little things like controls, and BMW is mid change between paddles and jap style for indicators.ST comment was simply illustrating that bigger tourers are used by other instructors.

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Yes, spoke to Carey, no surprise that he's on a GS-A.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Some occasional good R1200ST's with low mileage floating about

Mark Mackay
    Participant

With regards to Your 2nd choice  Mount  motorcycles had a new F800GT with panniers listed for$17990  may have sold.  $20K  for the used R1200R seems a little rich considering  the runout deal brand new was $20K, new model is $25990.  If You wanted to go down the dual sport track  there's  a deal on F800 GS Adventure with alloy panniers $23990 brand new  or MotoMart have a near new one fully loaded $22990.There's to much choice out there, the more One looks into it the harder it gets.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Richard, you've listed three bikes, and they have belt, chain and shaft drives  ;D Daffy might want to narrow down his requirements otherwise it's easier to send him a BMW brochure  ::)It's definitely more fun buying than selling bikes tho...

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Some occasional good R1200ST's with low mileage floating about

That's one model that polarized people. The headlight is very, ahem,  distinctive. I just can't bring myself to consider it, no matter how good financial sense it makes. Cheers for the suggestion though.

Robin
    Participant

The ST Headlight is quite trendy, thought. Added, you can't see it when u ride!

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you ever end up getting a R1200R , I have a set of repaired but usable factory panniers for sale at a good price. I got these to use on my 05 R1200RT when I had it,so I could keep my mint set stored away, I think the panniers will fit most year hexheads. They probably wont fit the new wethead boxers though Im guessing.

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Sense prevailed, and I'm going to do a few months on my RT.When it hits 100000km I'll be looking at a G'S with a touring screen.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.