Home Forums Rides Calendar The Molesworth/Rainbow ride, Sat 29/Dec – Nelson

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The Molesworth/Rainbow ride is on again this year.  Nelson members meet at Queen Elizabeth 2 Layby at 7.00 am on Saturday 29th DecemberWe will travel over to Blenheim where we will meet any other interested parties at Caltex Petrol station,next to MacDonalds.  We will be leaving Caltex Blenheim at 9.00am and heading off through Taylors Pass, Molesworth and Rainbow.  Those wanting to break the trip up into two days can go from Molesworth in Hamner Springs for the night then through Rainbow the following day.  Any one wanting to know more can Email myself at gjtait@xtra.co.nz or phone me at home at 03 540 2677.Gavin Tait

Campbell Thomson
    Participant

Fire danger means the road through Molesworth Station will not open as scheduled at the end of the month.The Department of Conservation, which administers the station, has decided the Acheron Rd will not open to the public on December 28 due to high fire risk in the area.The road will remain closed until further notice.The department shall continue to monitor the fire risk in coming weeks to determine if the road can be opened later, up until April 1, 2008, when the open period for the road ends.While some areas in Marlborough received up to 15mm of rain, the station did not receive any. It is the second time in the last six years the road has not opened.The department's South Marlborough area manager, Dave Hayes, said it was unlikely enough rain would fall to enable the road to be opened as planned."It would take substantial rainfall over some time to ease the fire danger to a level where the Acheron Rd could be opened and with current weather patterns that is not looking likely," he said.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I take it the Rainbow will be open? I hope this won't affect any of the other “special” roads I intend to ride.

Campbell Thomson
    Participant

Yes should still be open Alex

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Thanks, I'd hate to miss out. How long does it take to get through?  I think the motorcycle atlas mentions 3-4 hours, how does that match with your experience?Cheers,Alex

Campbell Thomson
    Participant

Acheron Road through historic Molesworth Station in the southern Marlborough high country will open to the public next week.But Department of Conservation (DOC) south Marlborough area manager Dave Hayes said today how long the road remained open depended on whether the fire risk became high.ADVERTISEMENTMolesworth is a recreation reserve managed by DOC. Travelling the road is free, but fees are charged for overnight stays in camping areas.DOC usually opens the stunningly scenic high country road from December to April, but it can close without warning due to weather conditions and people are advised to check before making a trip.The 59km trip between Hanmer Springs and Blenheim takes about six hours on the narrow unsealed road and motorists are urged to take extreme care to avoid starting fires.DOC hadn't intended opening the road this year because of a high fire risk in the area, but Mr Hayes said long range weather forecasts now indicated it could be opened at least until the middle of next month."But we can't be certain what the weather will do and how it will affect the fire risk," he said today. "If the fire risk gets high again, we may have to close the road."The road will open on December 28.

Anonymous

Thanks, I'd hate to miss out. How long does it take to get through?  I think the motorcycle atlas mentions 3-4 hours, how does that match with your experience?Cheers,Alex

The road is easy the most dangerous item on the road is camper vans and dust. The best time to ride is late in the afternoon when all the traffic has gone.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Thanks. We'll be riding in the afternoon, but not late afternoon.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.