Home Forums General Discussion The look of the future?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

After the last experience trying to update the Forum I am playing very conservative this time. The new software provides a helluva lot more tools (and it does fix the Calendar date bug: it will now take Forum time from a local time server – yay!) BUT – I'm still not sure about whether to try and link the old data to the new software, or try (yet again) to update this version in situ. I incline to the second option, but if I push the button I will have a complete copy on this server ready to fall back on, unlike last time, when I had to backup and replace from my home computer. (Old dog, new tricks.)I do have a dummy running, the reason I prefer to upgrade this forum is that it will take me many hours to recreate the boards we currently use on a new Forum, and then hook it up to the data. If anybody hasn't seen what Simple Machines Forum current appearance is, if you haven't seen one elsewhere on the web my "training for Bwucie" copy is at http://bmwor.org.nz/new_forum/index.php. The first thing you'll have slap you in the face is that I will need to put a border around our logo, where I swapped it for the SMF one.  Ours disappears into the page background - another thing I need to nut out before doing anything irrevocable. Of course, I have to do all this at three o'clock in the morning, so that the gamers and downloaders don't max the servers and cause me a problem like I had last time when I got timed out and the website died. (That'd be the time before our recent oops where we needed to put another couple of florins in the gasometer!)

Jim Young
    Participant

All this geek speak is way too hard for a simple fella like me,  ??? so whatever you do is mucho appreciated Bwucie.Oh and I did notice that the clock was right for the first time ever, well done that man  8)

Anonymous

Oh and I did notice that the clock was right for the first time ever

Why aye, ya buggar, it gets reset manually for daylight slaving, so I might sometimes be out by a day or two in a year, otherwise it's always right!

Anonymous
    Inactive

After the last experience trying to update the Forum I am playing very conservative this time. The new software provides a helluva lot more tools (and it does fix the Calendar date bug: it will now take Forum time from a local time server - yay!) BUT - I'm still not sure about whether to try and link the old data to the new software, or try (yet again) to update this version in situ. I incline to the second option, but if I push the button I will have a complete copy on this server ready to fall back on, unlike last time, when I had to backup and replace from my home computer. (Old dog, new tricks.)I do have a dummy running, the reason I prefer to upgrade this forum is that it will take me many hours to recreate the boards we currently use on a new Forum, and then hook it up to the data. If anybody hasn't seen what Simple Machines Forum current appearance is, if you haven't seen one elsewhere on the web my "training for Bwucie" copy is at http://bmwor.org.nz/new_forum/index.php. The first thing you'll have slap you in the face is that I will need to put a border around our logo, where I swapped it for the SMF one.  Ours disappears into the page background - another thing I need to nut out before doing anything irrevocable. Of course, I have to do all this at three o'clock in the morning, so that the gamers and downloaders don't max the servers and cause me a problem like I had last time when I got timed out and the website died. (That'd be the time before our recent oops where we needed to put another couple of florins in the gasometer!)

Is there anyone else that understood a single word of this,Bloody good job we have you Bwucie,because I dont think there is another man ridin a motorcycle on this little island that has a bloody wat ya ytalkin about !!!!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I kinda understand it, and it just adds to the admiration. That man deserves a DB. No, better than that, he deserves an Emersons.

Murray
    Participant

Looks great Bruce  8)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.