Home Forums General Discussion Temporary Vehicle Registration for USA trip

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

I'm looking at flying to the USA in late June, buying a new(ish) 1200RT, riding it around North America through September, then import it to NZ in early October. I've worked out many issues but the one i'm stuck on now is how to register (get a license plate) the bike for the duration of my time in the USA. Some of you must have been through this before – what is the best way? Many thanks,Micheal

Mark
    Participant

I would think why not get the ex usa owner to reregister it for u ,I beleive for u to register it u need an address of some sort in the USA this could be a bike shop a freind or the last owner.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Darryl – true, getting a normal registration is no problem – except for having to pay sales tax. What i'm looking for is a temporary registration for the duration of my trip that does not impose sales tax, since i am not a resident there and will be paying GST when the bike arrives in NZ. Typically what happens in the USA is that when you buy a bike from a dealer, they will issue a temporary plate, usually valid for 30 days, which you can use to drive the bike to where you live. You then register your bike in your home state, county and city and pay the local sales tax rate. The local tax rate varies wildly from place to place. If you buy from a private seller, the same rules apply except that you don't get any kind of temporary registration and have to register the bike and pay sales tax before riding the bike. It seems to me that i shouldn't have to pay sales tax where i am not a resident and then have to pay tax again where i do live.

Robin
    Participant

I threw your question onto Chromeheads to get something from the Americans there. Check out this site:http://www.chromeheads.org/discus/messages/10/476884.html?1304013081(Michele is in Montana)Visit it more than once as there may be additional responses put up.Good luck.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.