Home Forums Ride Reports Tapora Gravel ride

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

The club ride yesterday was pretty good, but I felt like I needed something else. So I set of this morning in search for a bit of gravel. Although it's getting harder to find it is still there if you have a closer look. I thought I'd check out the Tapora area which is located on a Kaipara peninsula just before Wellsford. Along the way I took in what ever gravel roads I could find. On the way home this included the Kaipara Hills road and a few others with lunch at Puhoi. I check out some of the work on the motorway bridge and finally emerged at the Auckland side of Riverhead forest. The weather was a mixed bag, but all of a sudden I realized that I much prefer wet gravel roads to wet tarseal roads. I was quietly hooning along having a great time. The roads were littered with loose fill which had been dumped as part of road maintenance, usually I find this annoying, but today it was all part of the fun. The Basic is now covered in backed on mud and cow poo, but I'll have time to clean that tomorrow. Here are a few pictures. If you are on dial up you won't enjoy this, sorry.DSC03035.jpgDSC03036.jpgDSC03037.jpgDSC03038.jpgDSC03039.jpgDSC03040.jpgDSC03041.jpgDSC03043-1.jpgDSC03047.jpgDSC03046.jpg

Xan
    Participant

Nice pictures.I like Toitoi  🙂

aegis4805
    Participant

nice pics Alex – thanks for posting – the 'Basic' looks good – I'm quite envious  :mrgreen:- these machines are becoming quite sought after – there's a person over on ADV looking for one. What's that rear tyre your running – looks to be 'coarser' than a TCK. Cheers S

Dave Ross

I like Toitoi  🙂

I do too, but it's very hard to get rid off. Years ago I had panted some in the garden, took a lot of hard work to remove again.

Dave Ross

nice pics Alex - thanks for posting - the 'Basic' looks good - I'm quite envious  :mrgreen:- these machines are becoming quite sought after - there's a person over on ADV looking for one. What's that rear tyre your running - looks to be 'coarser' than a TCK. Cheers S

The tyres are Michelin T63. They won't last as long as the TKC, but I don't ride the bike as much or as hard as the 1150, so it should work out ok. They are a bit noisy on the road, and with lower tyre pressure they really sing. They are pretty good on gravel, dry or wet.

Murray
    Participant

On ya Alex  😀

2bjr
    Participant

Not bad. Do not see any mud or dust 👿

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.