Home Forums General Discussion System 5 helmet, would you buy it again?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Not at all Alex, I don't have a choice.  😀 Not sure if Shoei use different shell sizes or not, ours are - Jean = extra small 53/54 cm.  Me Medium 57/58 cm.  The shells seem to be the same size when held together at the base.  The weights are also the same 1600 gms.  However they also give the weight of the helmet without accessories! being 1520 gms.  So I would think they make two or three shell sizes but a quick look at the weights of say a small v a large or extra large would probaly indicate.Malcolm

Dave Ross

1600 grams is quite light. From memory that's lighter than the system 5, which I understand weighs 1750g. I also wear size 58. It's definitely worth a look.

Anonymous

Fatal Facts About Helmets. A Neurosurgeon Speaks the Truthhttp://www.ridersforjustice.com/Articles/Fatal_Helmet_Facts.html

Dave Ross

Take it with a grain of salt. The people who host these pages are anti-helmet altogether, pretty much a redneck website. If I've read it correctly this report refers to findings from the mid-eighties. I'd like to think that helmets have improved since then.You pays your money and you takes your chances.

peter.trub
    Participant

Got to agree with you Alex. You have to wonder what the results of “no chin bar”would have been? As far as purchasing helmets I use the wear it in the shop for at least half an hour test system. I have found that not all heads are the same (go figger) and not all brands fit all heads. Price is an indication of quality, however all helmets must comply to a standard. I have yet to meet a shop that will let you test ride a helmet but its probably something they should.Wish I could wear a flip front but I cant close them due to a large chin issue  😀 Bugger the noise, just wear earplugs  😀

Dave Ross

I have yet to meet a shop that will let you test ride a helmet but its probably something they should.

I was able to test ride the Shoei Hornet DS at Motomail. They gave me 30 min., but it was rush hour traffic and this put me off riding on the motorway, so I was back after 5 min. I still like the helmet and have not ruled it out yet.Experience BMW will also let you test ride a helmet. There are so many variable that it's almost essential to go for a test ride, especially if you are about to pay big bucks. I have to admit though, that this was the first time ever that I took a helmet for a test ride.

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Just to confuse isues, I am having a fantastic run with my Scuberth C2.I went for it due to it having an integrated visor. I thought it might be a bit of a gadget, but it has turned out to be worth the faith I placed in it.BMW advise that to fit the visor Scuberth had to remove 10mm of crash impact protection in the forehead area, and I believe it. Obviously an internal visor takes up room that could be used for padding.However, try to remember that the Scuberth meets (and exceeds) the majority of the worlds safety requirments. I understand that in Oz they drive a spike through the forehead of a helmet, and the C2 struggles with that.I guess, whatever helmet you buy will be a compromise. I like the flip face helmets, I will not own anything else. I know they are probably (arguably) less safe than a fixed full face, but for me the convenience is worth that risk.I think the C2 is cheaper than the Series 5, but I'm not sure. I have always lived by the $10 head so $10 helmet rule, but I'm not sure the extra money for a Series 5 is making is much safer than the C2. And given the awesome feature of the internal visor, I'm probably going to replace this C2 with another one in time.Of course, there are those that will only buy BMW. Good for you, it's all own own choices, based on our own experiences and preferences.Regards

Dave Ross

I have forgotten about the C2. As I understand it's a bit heavier than the System 5.  The sun visor is pretty cool, but I ride with UVEX safety sunglasses that do a very good job protecting the eyes from the draft while riding with the visor (not chin piece) up. I do have quite a bit of BMW gear. I have been very happy with the streetguard suit and with the helmet. The pricing in NZ has been a bit steep at times, but I've bought some of the stuff in Germany, thanks to relatives who were prepared to ship it over.I also think it's important to support the local dealer, but I am on a budget, so there are limits. For commuting I would like a white helmet, the Shoei hornet could also do the adventure ride duty. White seems to be the most visible helmet colour. I'll check with Experience on Tuesday to see if they can do a deal that I cannot refuse :-).

Tony Russell
    Participant

I'm on my second System 5 and will go for nr 3 when its worn out. Nice fit, good quality flip-up, quiet – like it!

Dave Ross

Well, I just bought the Shoei Hornet DS today. The helmet is white, which is my preferred colour for commuting. It will also be great for adventure rides that require a bit of travel, because it has a visor.My System for with the com system will  now be used only on weekends, this should allow me to stretch out the replacement until I can afford a new System 5. These are now available with graphics and look quite good. Ideally though, I'd get a white one of those as well.The Shoei is quite a good fit and pretty light, it also has excellent ventilation. It comes with a pin-lock visor, and apparently these are worth having.

peter.trub
    Participant

Pinlock is excellent as it helps prevent fogging. I have it on my Nolan VPS skid lid. A word from the wise though…. make sure you keep them tight. Mine came out of adjustment and allowed movement between the 2 layers, coupled with the dust of gravel riding and it seemed a bit foggy  😕 (until I spent some dollars  😳 )

Dave Ross

Should I keep the pinlock shield installed, or only add it when needed?

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

I would keep it installed Alex.  You can never tell when you may need it and I wonder if constantly fitting and removing it would eventually cause it to become loose which would really bugger it up.  😐  If you treat it as you do your visor it should last as long.Malcolm

Dave Ross

Thanks for that, Malcolm. I'll give the inside a good clean and will install it.

Jim Young
    Participant

Have to agree with Malcolm Alex, keep the pinlock on they are really worthwhile.Jim

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.