Home Forums General Discussion Suggestions for a Poor Lost Yankee?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Participant

So I'm trying to get all the moving pieces to line up for a trip out to NZ next month.  My hope was to head out there, rent/buy a GS, do some volunteering and then do some cruising around for about a month.  Originally I was hoping to ship my K12RS out there but it turns out that's virtually impossible to do on short notice.My plan is to spend my first two weeks around Auckland and then I'm wide open for the rest of the time.  As I surf Amazon for last minute christmas gifts, I thought I'd also reach out to you guys and see if you could help me with the following questions (since BMW forums never seem short on opinions):

• Where can I find used bikes? The best resource I've found so far has been Trademe, but Trademe isn't real keen on foreigners
    • What rides/destinations should I not miss while I'm out there?

Actually I have a bonus question for the ambitious: can I be spontaneous with booking rooms or will I need to plan ahead during what seems to be the peak season?Any help greatly appreciated!CheersMikePS. Here's a cross-link to my wanted posting: http://forum.bmwor.org.nz/index.php?topic=440.0

Murray
    Participant

Mike1) Depending on how long you're going to be here renting will cost a packet over a long stay. I have a 2004 1150RS with 9,000 K on it you can have for $19,000NZ when you get here  😀 Seriously, if you're looking for a used BMW check in with Henry at Experience M/Cs in Auckland, if you've got two weeks mucking around up there (and you've gotta ask - why?) then he'll find something for you.2) Don't miss out on any of them - certainly fit in the Coromandel Loop and anywhere around the East Cape of the North Island. Having said that there's a heap of great riding if your a bit adventurous and have a GS. For my money (and IMHO) though the South Island (pretty much anywhere) is the place to be on any sort of bike. Get hold of a copy of Peter Mitchell's New Zealand Motorcylcle Atlas - 100 top rides, it's published by Hema.3) Bring a tent  😀 Out of the way places might not be so much of a problem. If you need a bed any stage your near Wellington give me a shout. There will be a few other OR members around NZ who'll offer similar hospitality I'm sure.All the best for the trip, you might not want to leave though  😎

Alistair Gilmour
    Participant

Hah!  $19k might be a smidge outside my budget but I'll keep you in mind 🙂  In the meantime thanks for the tip re: Henry, I'll drop him a note.I suppose it's worth asking -- does anyone know who "p3nut" is and what his contact information might be?  He posted a GS on Trademe that didn't sell and I thought I might contact him, but my l33t h4k0r skllz haven't turned up his email address yet.  If you do know him, please put him in touch with me.As for Pete Mitchell's book, that was one of the very first things I ordered (direct from NZ, how exotic) when I first started thinking about this trip months back.  It's fantastic, wish there was a good equivalent for around CaliforniaThanks NZGSer, I'm sure you're right about not wanting to leave.

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Many dealers post their new and used bikes on the Motorcycle Trader site: http://www.motorcycletrader.co.nz/ There are a few R1100GS, R1150GS and R1200GS on there.Henry at Experience also has some bikes on there. You can also try the Hamilton BMW dealer, Hamilton Motorcycle Centre. It's not too far from Auckland, and their prices are sometimes lower than in Auckland.I would add that, depending on your size, the F650GS could also be a good option for touring the country. The highest speed limit anywhere is 100km/h (about 62mph), and especially on state highways it is heavily enforced. Anything over 140km/h is considered walking pace. If you get caught you will be walking the rest of the way.The only information I can find on TradeMe about p3nut is that his name is Steve, and he lives in Christchurch.Some of the bikes on TradeMe are advertised by dealers, and in that case the name and the contact details for the dealer are given. For example there's an 1150GS with BMW hard luggage, that has only done 14,000km from a dealer in Palmerston North for $15,000.If you want some rides in the South Auckland/Waikato area I'd be happy to help with some route suggestions, or show you around some of better roads. Send me a pm if you're interested.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Welcome to the forum emmby. I must say that I've almost deleted your registration, we've got so many fake sign-ups at the moment. Henry doesn't really do email, but I know that Neil checks his. So if you get no answer put in a service request :-).  You might be able to sort out some sort of a buy back deal. On the other hand, if you do have two weeks in Auckland you should be able to organize a bike from a private seller. Let us know when you arrive, we might be able to sort out a ride. Cheers,Alex

clive.chapman
    Participant

Welcome emmby,Yeah it's a shame, Trademe is great but only works well in NZ.  Somes good deals on a couple of GS's at the moment.  If you're not too fussed about model you'll probably find something suitable pretty quickly and at a reasonable price within a couple days of getting here.Like artig suggested motorcycle trader is a great place to look as well-good barometer of current bike selling values. I have never tried it, but you may be able to swing a deal with one of the many bike rental outfits offering tours?  May be easy but probably a bit on the pricy side.  Some mates of mine are VROC and Ulysses members and they're forever going over to the states and "borrowing" bikes off fellow club members.  Don't know if that's an option for you.As for rides- definitely South Island 1.  West coast - Haast Pass - Wanaka - Queenstown- Te Anau2.  Picton - Nelson - Murchison - Lewis Pass - Kaikoura3.  Hell, just go everywhereHeading down to the Lower North Island (Levin), we'd be happy to put you up on your way through.  My wifes like those yank accents...she's married to one  :roll:  021 206 0430

Alistair Gilmour
    Participant

Thanks artig, Karlos, Kokopelli.  Karlos, sounds like your wife sucked you into NZ kinda like NZGSer warned me about.  Hmmm… maybe I should bring a spare helmet in case I pick up a cute Kiwi somewhere along the roadside.Thanks for the Motorcycletrader tip, I put in an inquiry on a bike there so we'll see what happens.  And thanks for all the ride suggestions and hospitality offers!  If any of you end up in the San Francisco bay area at some point let me know and I may be able to reciprocate.What are the vagrancy laws in NZ like?  Am I likely to get into much trouble if I just pull over on the side of the road somewhere and set up camp out of the way?

clive.chapman
    Participant

Naw, my wife's an Aussie and tried to get to me to setttle in Oz and I ran away and got as far as Kiwi.  No looking back now though as we realise that we live in the best place in the world :-D.  Not Levin, but NW generally. Heck, what other country has a cricket team wearing two shades of brown!?BTW my bro in is Mill Valley.Probably wont have much in the way of probs outside the cities.  RgdsKarl

Anonymous

You can camp where you like there is no vagrancy laws, but we are just like all countries in the world and there are nutters out there and visitors do get mugged and murdered although not very oftenaround one or two a year.Our camping grounds are clean and tidy, but not as good as the KOA camping grounds in the US. There are no fire pits at any camp sites to much of a risk for fires.

Alistair Gilmour
    Participant

That's okay, I plan to skip the nutters.  Are there good places to shower and clean up for people who are spending a lot of time on the road?  You know how anywhere in the world you can walk into a Starbucks or McDonald's and count on a restroom… in NZ you can walk into a ______ and find a shower.  Heck if I know how to fill in that blank for the US, hoping NZ is easier.Guess it's time to pick up that book on tramping New Zealand.

Arne Rohde
    Participant

For some camping and scenic visit possibilities, have a look at the Department of Conservation webiste (http://www.doc.govt.nz/). There's all the information you should need for the 235 vehicle-accessible campsites on conservation land in downloadable .pdf files. Some campsites are free, some have a nominal fee.Many (most?) farmers in the country will gladly let you camp on their land, as long as you have the courtesy to ask them beforehand.

Clive Lawrence
    Participant

Mike,I mite be able to help you out with a bike...(1150GS)I have a heap of work coming up and may not have the chance to ride for the next few months..Let me know how you go.Dave

Alistair Gilmour
    Participant

Cheers to everyone who responded to this thread!  I received more hospitality than I ever hoped to expect.  A number of people responded about bikes they were willing to part with for awhile and it looks like one of them is going to work out, so with luck I'll be in your neck of the woods by this time next week!Thanks also for the tips, the DOC website looks like one i'll be checking periodically while I'm out there.  My attempts at planning seem to be gradually giving way to a more "come what may" pragmatism at this point 🙂Cheers again,Mike

Arne Rohde
    Participant

For some more route and destination suggestions have a look at the ride report at:http://www.softnz.com/RoadsLessTaken/Written by an Alaskan who has visited NZ a number of times.Anyway, enjoy your trip and enjoy your stay.

janejohnstewart
    Participant

After having spent an evening with emmby aka Mike on Friday, I would strongly suggest that you offer the guy a cup of tea whilst he's passing through, or better yet a roof over his head for the night on his travels.The last I heard, his plans were mostly North Island with a possible sprint round the Marlborough Sounds.Damn decent bloke if you ask me, not that anybody has 😀CheersJohn

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.