Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Starter motor solenoid/relay wanted

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

I thought I'd ask on the off chance that one of you has one sitting around. My starter motor solenoid (1150) as been accidentally damaged by me 😥 If any of you have a spare one I'd love to hear from you.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Well, I really need help with this. I have thought it  trough and now think that the starter solenoid could be still good. It still engages, but takes a little while to disengage. I may also have run down the battery now, because  the bike is making some awful noises. It is turning over, but not firing up. Who has got some idea what is going on? The starter motor and solenoid are quite expensive, so I want to avoid having to buy one, if at all possible.I need to the Gs to be running by Sunday, or someone else will have to lead the ride to Whangarei.  🙂

Anonymous

hi, why don't you try to find an auto electrician who services Bosch and give them a call or take the starter motor to them to have a look at, could be just something simple

mike.ray
    Participant

Might not be relevant given the age difference but….. When I had a K75 I has similar problems which were traced back to a stuffed battery.  Problem I had was the relay which energises the starter had partially self welded the contacts together.  A clever friend prised the top off the relay and cleaned up the surface of the contacts.  This and a new battery fixed it.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Thanks, I've checked the relay and it was fine. The battery is now on the charger and hopefully it will be ok as well. This afternoon I will take the starter to Simms for a check up.  I have a tendency to panic about these things when my own bike is involved.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

*Update*Got the starter back from Simms. The repaired the brushes which were loose, cleaned up the armature and replaced the solenoid that I stuffed up in a moment of idiocy. Total cost $240 the solenoid was $126. Could have had the solenoid from the States for $100. What did I do to the solenoid? On reassembly I wound the long screw directly into the solenoid, before putting the housing on it. The screw will go in and damage the windings in the process, as the thread is open to the inside. Why did I do it? There are two screws holding the solenoid to  the starter below the housing which are identical in thread, but obviously a lot shorter. Obviously you wind it in harder when you start to feel resistance and don't get suspicious. That's the third time I've learnt that if it doesn't come apart or go together easily, think twice before you apply excess force. Hopefully it will stick this time around.

Jim Young
    Participant

Thats how we all learn Alex by our mistakes, I wish I had a dollar for every one I''ve made  😳

dave.valma
    Participant

Said with a smile, if it don't fit don't force it. 😀Steve.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.