Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Stainless Steel Brake Lines

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

I just did the annual service on the 1150 and fitted SS brake lines. Changed the clutch fluid as well. Took me about three hours all up, but my time was free :-). I actually enjoyed working on the bike. I also got to try out my Teng torque wrench :-). The 60000 will be done in a couple of weeks, a bit early but I'll have time then.

2bjr
    Participant

The braided lines looks nicer and can take more pressure on it. I do not change the brakefluid on mine with the ABS.  There is people that know how to do that. 😉

clive.chapman
    Participant

Whots the deal with fitting aftermarket SS brake lines?  I was under the impression that there may be issues with the WOF manKarl

honeybear.2399
    Participant

Whots the deal with fitting aftermarket SS brake lines?  I was under the impression that there may be issues with the WOF manKarl

I have fitted SS brake lines, on bikes, and never had any trouble with WOF. unless the tester was very knowledgeable about every bike on the market, how would he know?  Phil  🙄

clive.chapman
    Participant

Sounds like it may come down to whether or not WOF man n the day bothers to look DOT markings on the SS lines/fittings.  Looks like some have been caught out.  http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/archive/index.php/t-2446.html

Dave Ross

My brakelines are made by Fischer Hydraulic in Germany and are dated. Surely that should be enough for the WOF people. Plus the look  stock. My old ones are in the bin, so I guess I am comitted. I've also got the paperwork that makes them acceptable to the German TUEV. We'll see, as the warrant is due soon.

Dave Ross

I thought I'd warm this topic up, because I've recently had a warrant of fitness done and the  man at VINZ commented on how nice the BMW stock stainless steel brake lines on my bike are.They are on to it.

Jim Young
    Participant

On my last warrant they failed the bike even though it had just had a 30,000km service the day before and new tyres that day because he said the dipped headlight wasnt working.They were quite embarrassed when I said you have to start the bike first for the dipped beam to come on.  😀

Dave Morris
    Participant

I just did the annual service on the 1150 and fitted SS brake lines. Changed the clutch fluid as well. Took me about three hours all up, but my time was free :-). I actually enjoyed working on the bike. I also got to try out my Teng torque wrench :-). The 60000 will be done in a couple of weeks, a bit early but I'll have time then.

have you got the "low vehicle volume modification cert " for your next warrant of fitness. Ya just can't go around chucking stuff on your bike that makes it unsafe for other road users. I shall ring the testing station and inform them what you have done. safe motoring

Anonymous
    Inactive

On my last WOF I was informed that the rear facing reflectors in the brake light lens were 'borderline', and that I should stick extra ones on the mud flap (its an 1150GS) I nodded and muttered in a way that he may have interpreted as agreeing with him.

Dave Ross

have you got the "low vehicle volume modification cert " for your next warrant of fitness. Ya just can't go around chucking stuff on your bike that makes it unsafe for other road users. I shall ring the testing station and inform them what you have done. safe motoring

Ze brake line speek german, zat should be enuff.

Dave Morris
    Participant

speaking of WOF's. Couple of years back I took me scooter for a warrant. He failed it on the grounds that I had a white light facing to the rear. This so called white light was the white Diamond grade reflective tape I had put on rear mudguard which is white as real bmw's have  tendency to blow the rear tail light bulb after ya spent a while on the gravel.I asked him to show me how this hwite light was powered and how to turn it on. I informed him that I did not think that reflective tape fell into the definition of a light.the twat had to concede. :mrgreen:

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.