Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Spotlights and CANBUS

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Participant

HiThe F800ST I just bought is tres cool, but I'd like to put some LED driving lights on the front. I'm a visibility freak.I'm not sure that the CANBUS thing will let me. Where should I tap into for a power source?I'll be hooking a TomTom up too, maybe someone can suggest where to clip that onto the electrical system.Any suggestions welcome. BTW, I've sold my 1150GS, thanks to all who have helped with the issues I had with it. I'm going to miss it but can't afford two bikes, now that Nick Smith has thrust his hand deeper into my pockets.

Murray
    Participant

Daffy, congratulations on the 800ST. I've got an F800S as well as the HP2 and agree, a nice wee road bike.You're best avoiding taking power direct from CAN Bus controlled systems as the additional power draw will most likely trigger a system fault. The CAN bus systems are programmed for certain limits on current draw so it's best to install a relay which will be triggered/switched via the CAN bus system (e.g. headlamp wiring for your additional driving lights) and power to the accessory direct from the battery via a fuse. If you intend to install more accessories requiring power (GPS etc), an auxiliary power/fuse panel such as the Centech AP1 or Touratech TPS 15 is what you need.CheersGarry

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Beginning to think of the CANBUS as a Can't Bus.I'll have a look at the Touratech thingy. Looks like what I need. Cheaper too.

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Where's the best place to shop for Touratech things?

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I'd say the Touratech online shop. The exchange rate is pretty good at the moment.

Dave Morris
    Participant

which touratech shop. ??

Russell Taylor
    Participant

Yes, which one?

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Last time I ordered directly from Germany. I think Germany has 20% GST so that come off the top. It's been a while since my last order.

Dave Morris
    Participant

Nancy. can u do some price comparissions and get back to us on cheapest. thanks

Clive Lawrence
    Participant

Try the Aus Touratech site..

Anonymous
    Inactive

Touratech tend to redirect the order to the nearest dealer.Re Can bus you may have a plug strapped to the frame under the head lamp same as the 1200gs that is put on the bike specifically for GPS.certain driving light kits have a relay and wiring harness complete with auxiliary switch, dont run a power lead from the highbeam as the highbeam switch cant handle the extra draw and will melt down.I installed an HID headlamp and have to fit a gizmo to fool the canbus into seeing 55watts, the 35watt brought up an error as lamp out.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, I have F650GS which should be identical to F800. I had a Touratech  accessory fuse box installed by Experience Motorcycles for ca $160. A pair of low profile LEDs stuck on the handguards completed the project (bought  from TradeMe  embedded in silicon with double sided tape on back) I also used the assessor box to connect charging cable for the iPhone, as the GPS application saps the battery life.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Bumping an old post, but anyway.For NZ, with no Touratech dealer, ordering from the Touratech Germany Webshop (select International, or Other or something to enter) your order will come from Germany... done it twice so far.I've got a couple of the Touratech Accessory Hubs in my GSA (uh, yeah, one wasn't big enough), other options are the Fuzebox, and Eastern Beaver in Canada I think, make an even bigger model that I'm very tempted by. There was also a guy in Manukau selling Accessory Hubs on Trademe.Re lights, speak to Experience, I talked them into sorting out my setup, Sebastian will know the details. You need simply need to wire them separately for power, not sure if you want them on with the low, or high, or separately switched? Canbus will detect the extra draw if the lights get their power from the canbus circuitry, but a relay works fine. When I flick to high beam, high beam along with an extra set of spots comes on, and another set of spots goes to full power... canbus doesn't have an issue with it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Re GPS have a look at the wiring loom around the head light area,My gs1200 has a plug dedicated for the GPS.My HID headlight came with a gizmo that fools the can bus, lower wattage brings up a bulb blown warning on the dash.Pete.

Russell Taylor
    Participant

YoFound this useful for hooking up my GPS. On my F800ST, which is now for sale.Close to the battery positive lead, not far from the battery, was a spare power takeoff. Use it and it turns on with the keys, and off about a minute after the key gets turned off.Would never have known it was there, but Jimmy Tunnicliffe, the Miracle Mechanic in Christchurch, happened to mention it when we were chatting about something totally unrelated.So, just got my GPS sorted, now the bikes on TradeMe.Go figure.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.