Home Forums General Discussion Speedo accuracy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Is there any truth to what some people have told me being that BMW speedos over-read by about 10km/hr at 10km/hr?

Anonymous
    Inactive

My 2006 K1200R read an indicated 103kph when the GPS showed 100.  Not too bad.My mate's 2007 GSXR750 reads 108 to the GPS's 100.  Probably a good thing!

Jim Young
    Participant

My 1150GS showed 112KPH when the GPS was at 100KPH.My 1200GS however is pretty accurate around 102KPH when the GPS is 100KPH

Russell Taylor
    Participant

An 1150RT I used to ride was 10km/h optomistic.The 1200RT I get on occasionally is just as bad, reading 110 at 100.I figure that by riding at the indicated speed I am by necessity saving fuel and avoiding the risks of speeding tickets and crash risk.Can't be bad.

dave.valma
    Participant

Airhead speedo's often over read by around 10%. Within 2 years of having a speedo rebuilt  and recalibrated by Robinson's I was back to over reading by 10%.

Peter Bradley
    Participant

It's not just bikes. My new Hilux shows 110kph and the GPS reads 103kph. Although I have to say it is linear.Makes my complaints about getting a ticket for 113kph seem weak 😳

Mark Williams
    Participant

When my 97 R1100RT reads 100km the GPS is on 96.  That's not too bad.  I generally set the bike on 110 and cruise on.Cheers 🙂

Anonymous

Ive found all BMW speedo bikes and cars we have owned are within 4kph. Most of the Japanese cars we have had have been minimum 10% slow.

Peter Bradley
    Participant

Should have mentioned to the guys who were out on the Sunday run to Raglan. The guy on the Harley is a traffic cop 😮 Started years ago because he thought it was a great way to spend all day on a motorbike  😎Anyway... he recons the GPS is out. To prevent terrorists sending missiles using it!! Conspiracy Theory!! 😮Obviously this is top secret, and I wouldn't challenge him on it because he's a big guy  😀Oooh, now this could start a new discussion.

Dave Ross

Lucky then, that we didn't go fast then :-D.  My speedo is miles out. I never speed, yet it shows all sorts of weird numbers. Maybe I should get a GPS.I think the GPS error was removed a few years ago. I was told that it used to be a couple of hundred meters out, but now it's pretty much spot on.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.