Home Forums Ride Reports South Coast Adventure

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Pete and I went along for the Saturday morning bit of Mark’s weekend away, taking in a jaunt around Wellington’s South Coast from Ocean beach to the Wairarapa. I’ve been meaning to get back around the Coast for quite some time and a $15 gate fee was a bit of a bargain for a day of such good fun, although in hindsight (always a good thing) taking the XT250 might have been a wiser move.Plenty of people turned up at Wainuiomata.SouthCoastAdventure001.jpgWe stopped to wait (and pay the dosh) at the homestead as Mark S had some problems on Ocean Beach Road with his KLR. Sadly, he would miss this bit having to instead head home to pick up another bike. We’d meet up with him later in Martinborough.SouthCoastAdventure002.jpgWaiting…..SouthCoastAdventure004.jpgChatting …….SouthCoastAdventure005.jpgTalking bikes ……..SouthCoastAdventure006.jpgThen off …………….SouthCoastAdventure009.jpgPhoto stop …………SouthCoastAdventure010.jpgFor those that don’t know, this coastline has been formed by a number of earthquakes. The area is steeped in history; you go past ‘Barney’s Whare’ – once home to late reclusive maritime painter Frank Barnes. This coast was also the migrational route for early Maori, and the traditional muster route for early New Zealand pioneers. Magic views of Cook Strait, the Kaikoura Mountain Ranges and Wairarapa Coast pretty much all the way.It started to get a bit tougher ……………SouthCoastAdventure011.jpgSouthCoastAdventure012.jpgSouthCoastAdventure013.jpg

Murray
    Participant

Ummm, we appear to have run out of road ……………SouthCoastAdventure014.jpgA bit of a push and we’re all safely through ………….SouthCoastAdventure015.jpgSouthCoastAdventure016.jpgSouthCoastAdventure017.jpgSouthCoastAdventure018.jpgIt got easier …………….SouthCoastAdventure021.jpgSouthCoastAdventure022.jpgUntil …………SouthCoastAdventure025.jpg

Murray
    Participant

Some resorted to the bush to find a way around.SouthCoastAdventure024.jpgOthers tackled it head on ………….SouthCoastAdventure026.jpg….building a road!!SouthCoastAdventure027.jpgEither route, everyone got over this as well. GVB shows some style. Just great how everyone was helping each other out. What a team.SouthCoastAdventure029.jpgAfter all that lot, a poxy wee gate isn’t getting in the way.SouthCoastAdventure031.jpgFrom there, it’s coasting. Fantastic views and a few braided river crossings.SouthCoastAdventure032.jpgSouthCoastAdventure033.jpgSouthCoastAdventure034.jpgSouthCoastAdventure035.jpgPete and I left the boys to it in Martinborough wishing them good luck with the Makiro track the next day.SouthCoastAdventure036.jpg

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Well done, you guys seem to have all the fun down there.  We'll struggle to think of something that will rival that.

aegis4805
    Participant

great post NZGSer – top pics and interesting historical commentary about the area – good to see you on Saturday.For me the track to Sutherland Hut in the afternoon was the highlight of the weekend. cheers Aslan

Ron McFadzien
    Participant

Great report Garry nice photos must find a way to make my camera more available. It was a shame you had to leave early the rest of the day and Sunday topped off a great weekend. Looking forward to the next event.regards boGSer

Murray
    Participant

Here are a few more photos courtesy of my mate Jim Glover.Crossing the crevasse left from the washout meant a few strategically placed helping hands - just in case. Fortunately they were not required at this point in time  😎P1000289.jpgIt got better going downhill but you still had to take it carefully.P1000291.jpgIt did seem to go on for a while  😛P1000389.jpg………. and of course the rocks just got bigger the closer you got to the sea  😮P1000394.jpgGood fun though  😀

Nick Taber
    Participant

Great photos.  Looks like tricky/slow going for a lot of the way but great fun all the same.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.