Home Forums General Discussion Scary road riding.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Life is a bitch! and man I'm enjoying it. I ride my HP like it's my last ride each time, and there is one great thing. No cops on gravel roads 😀If you won't to see bad driving forget Auckland try Christchurch  😕

Just saw a cop car on a gravel road yesterday, he was going for it, too.  I  try to slow down on the straights and speed up in the corners, it's a lot cheaper that way.

Anonymous

Life is a bitch! and man I'm enjoying it. I ride my HP like it's my last ride each time, and there is one great thing. No cops on gravel roads 😀If you won't to see bad driving forget Auckland try Christchurch  😕Just saw a cop car on a gravel road yesterday, he was going for it, too.  I  try to slow down on the straights and speed up in the corners, it's a lot cheaper that way.

Properly Police not traffic

Gary Grossman
    Participant

What do you mean proper Police not like Traffic! We're very lucky here in NZ that Traffic Policing isn't taken too seriously, in the UK Traffic Police are feared. If you get stopped and see the Cop has a black hat (normal Cop) on then you may get away with it but if he has a white top to his hat (Traffic Cop) then your knackered! Traffic Policing is taken very seriously over there. We haven't started to get serious here yet but i would like to see more Traffic Cops out there policing the roads, i agree handing out tickets isn't solely the key and education and stricter rules are needed. Kiwi adventure – As for a Pom running the LTSA whats wrong with that? getting someone from another country to run a department that needs some common sense and experience is a good idea and one that will improve roading over here. it just a pity we don't get someone running LTNZ and then we may have some decent roads! We need to embrace changes, i know most of us don't like change and especially if you don't see theres a problem but there is a problem and its killing people. Some of you are lucky enough not to see the carnage of a fatality, deal with the bodies and families but i do and that does change your view on roading. I have the up most respect for my colleagues in the 111 services who deal with these incidents then have to go home and try to have a normal life. So Kiwi adventure before you start having a go, go out with the Traffic Police for a while and visit the scenes of fatalities and see for yourself, it easy to sit on the sidelines and criticise! As for the changing the age of driving it has been proven that the brain isn't mature enough at 15 to understand the consequences of speed and bad driving. Remember being that age and thinking you were bulletproof! I don't know what its like where you come from but up here in Auckland all ages are dying including 15 year olds. Personally i would like to see stricter rules where Police could take peoples licences off them for some of the more minor offences not just drink driving, boy racer or speed. At the end of the day they are there to protect us not just from crime but from killing each other on the roads as well. So as Bwucie has already mentioned if you think we have no problem then you are part of the problem.

Jim Young
    Participant

Well said nick, as a Pom who has been here 34 years I still think kiwi's are the worse drivers around and need educating like other countries.15 as you say is far too young to be in charge of a twin turbo death machine and we are lucky that our roads apart from the cities are very quiet otherwise the lack of courtesy shown on the roads would result in far more deaths and gridlock of the cities.One of the things that really amuse me is that in NZ everyone sticks to the outside lane when most of the time the left lane is clear and gives a far better run as well as keeping you further away from the oncoming traffic.

Dave Ross

Life is a bitch! and man I'm enjoying it. I ride my HP like it's my last ride each time, and there is one great thing. No cops on gravel roads 😀If you won't to see bad driving forget Auckland try Christchurch  😕Just saw a cop car on a gravel road yesterday, he was going for it, too.  I  try to slow down on the straights and speed up in the corners, it's a lot cheaper that way.Properly Police not traffic

Looks like my post got caught up in all that quoting, got to be more careful next time.

2bjr
    Participant

After all of this.I wonder what the car drivers are thinking about us on the roads 😕 😕 😐

Dave Ross

I have a feeling they hate me on my commute as I make my way past while they are stuck in traffic :-).

2bjr
    Participant

In an accident there is always a two sided story.This week alone again two motorcyclist in accidents on the Kapiti Coast alone. 😡 😡

Anonymous

What do you mean proper Police not like Traffic! We're very lucky here in NZ that Traffic Policing isn't taken too seriously, in the UK Traffic Police are feared. If you get stopped and see the Cop has a black hat (normal Cop) on then you may get away with it but if he has a white top to his hat (Traffic Cop) then your knackered! Traffic Policing is taken very seriously over there. We haven't started to get serious here yet but i would like to see more Traffic Cops out there policing the roads, i agree handing out tickets isn't solely the key and education and stricter rules are needed. Kiwi adventure - As for a Pom running the LTSA whats wrong with that? getting someone from another country to run a department that needs some common sense and experience is a good idea and one that will improve roading over here. it just a pity we don't get someone running LTNZ and then we may have some decent roads! We need to embrace changes, i know most of us don't like change and especially if you don't see theres a problem but there is a problem and its killing people. Some of you are lucky enough not to see the carnage of a fatality, deal with the bodies and families but i do and that does change your view on roading. I have the up most respect for my colleagues in the 111 services who deal with these incidents then have to go home and try to have a normal life. So Kiwi adventure before you start having a go, go out with the Traffic Police for a while and visit the scenes of fatalities and see for yourself, it easy to sit on the sidelines and criticise! As for the changing the age of driving it has been proven that the brain isn't mature enough at 15 to understand the consequences of speed and bad driving. Remember being that age and thinking you were bulletproof! I don't know what its like where you come from but up here in Auckland all ages are dying including 15 year olds. Personally i would like to see stricter rules where Police could take peoples licences off them for some of the more minor offences not just drink driving, boy racer or speed. At the end of the day they are there to protect us not just from crime but from killing each other on the roads as well. So as Bwucie has already mentioned if you think we have no problem then you are part of the problem.

We have enough laws we don't need any more just better education. We where better off when we had separate traffic cops from Police and the police would agree as well. Whats wrong with parents restricting there 15 year old from owning these types of hot cars they are under 18.The only thing the Police are interested in is speeding and collecting fines, they just play with the drink driving. If the Police were serious about drunk drivers they would have drink driving checks out side hotels and RSA's.Thanks for the debate 😀 I've moved on now enjoy your bike.

2bjr
    Participant

Ye, go.  Up the bad drivers 👿 👿 😉

2bjr
    Participant

Thinking about this read, there should be stats posted here about bike accidents.

David
    Participant

Love it all!  😀I agree with Dean, start them young and train them well. I also like Bwucies ideas of no rego / warrant, no fuel. The anal retentives in LTSA who continue to try to control peoples behaviour would do well to eradicate traffic lights, stop and give way signs at intersections thereby allowing drivers to engage their brain before pulling out of the drive in the morning and take responsibility for their own actions. I lived in a country where, if you hit someone else the police would apportion blame. 70% to you for screwing up and 30% to the other guy for not trying hard enough to avoid you  👿I couldnt buy my ex-wife a 4X4, she would have taken you all out long ago. 🙁 I didnt even want to buy her a bicycle!BTW: The thing that scares me most is me, will I pay 100% attention and not screw up today?Current pet hate: Prepay at the pump. Why do gas companies punish us because they are too busy ripping everyone off to put staff on the forecourt?Current pet like: EFTPOS on the pump  🙂Current pet love: Night riding.  😎

janejohnstewart
    Participant

What do you mean proper Police not like Traffic! We're very lucky here in NZ that Traffic Policing isn't taken too seriously …

Excuse me!Northland police take themselves very seriously, thank you very much.At least if I got a "producer" from plod in the UK I knew that he was trained to a far higher standard of driving than I could afford to train myself to.... BTW when is Mr Bell expected back from his hols?  ... cat's and pigeons and all that 😀

Dave Ross

😮

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.