Home Forums General Discussion Rincewind and the luggage update

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Hi GuysMy appologies for the long silence regarding our latest accident, I'm affraid we have been in no condition to comment on the forum any earlier having just spent 3 weeks in hospital.To compound the issue Barbara and I were dispatched to different hospitals from the accident scene and spent a lot of time worrying about one anothers condition,relying only on updates from family visitors who we both suspected were playing down one anothers injuries to try and pacify us.The accident happened on a nice sunny afternoon on SHWY 16 south of Wellsford while on our way back from an excellent lunch at the PIZZA BARN in Waipu. I was overtaking a car who suddenly without warning decided to overtake the car in front,the manouvere was so swift and wide that the car actually side swiped us straight off the road, we were doing approximatley 85 kph so it is no surprise that our injuries are not minor.My injuries were two broken collar bones,broken clavicle,broken neck vertibrae,broken sternum,punctured lung,multiple left side broken rib cage (Flail chest) a fair sized hole in the back of my left leg,pelvic bruising and other minor bruises and abraisions.Barbara suffered a badly broken wrist,shattered left knee and multiple rib fractures along with various other bruises etc.The car driver was unhurt of course and evidently didn't see the 1200GSA with headlight, spot lights,rider in flouro jacket and white helmet with RH indicator going.We were discharged from hospital two days ago and are coping reasonably well,unfortunatley neither one of us will be able to drive for the next six weeks so for this period we will be heavily reliant upon our daughters and son in law who have been real troopers throughout this whole ordeal.Barbara has a leg brace on her left leg supporting the reconstruction of her knee and of course a plaster cast on her left arm and I have a neck brace to keep the broken vertibrae in position while it heals.I have a disturbing issue with my left hand, I have motor function but very little grip,this is the result of nerve damage around my shoulder area, I think I am noticing subtle changes in the hand but this may just be my imagination willing the recovery on.I have no news of the bike except that it has arrived at Henrys for assesment, it wouldn't surprise me if it gets written off, but then again they are a tough old piece of kit so it may just have faired better than us.I will keep you posted.RegardsDave and barbara

Jim Young
    Participant

Hi Dave and Babs,Glad to hear you are both out of hospital and on the road to recovery.Best RegardsJim

Anonymous
    Inactive

Wishing you both a speedy recovery and when you're feeling a little more comfortable we will catch up for a Stella and a Vindaloo.Cheers,Herr and Frau Baron

Anonymous
    Inactive

Ouch! Good luck to both of you for your recovery.Andy

Dave Ross

Sorry to hear of your accident. I am glad both of you are still with us. That was quite a list of injuries, each one sufficient to spoil your day. I am wishing you a speedy and pain free recovery.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I hope you guys have a speedy recovery.  Tempted to upgrade the R12RT's horn after reading this, especially after having a close call last week that could've ended up just like your crash.  Maybe something like this?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTRYm_peqGA

Anonymous
    Inactive

I hope you guys have a speedy recovery.  Tempted to upgrade the R12RT's horn after reading this, especially after having a close call last week that could've ended up just like your crash.  Maybe something like this?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTRYm_peqGA

Ha Ha you shouldn't really post these things to a bloke with so many broken ribs,can you imagine what the WOF inspector woud make of that when it went in for it's six monthly if he wasn't pre-warned,let alone all the innocent bystanders in the waiting room.......

Anonymous
    Inactive

WOW Dave, that sounded really nasty. I wish you and Barbara a speedy recovery although I know it can be frustratingly slow.Rob

Anonymous
    Inactive

Crikey matey  😮 Best wishes for a good recovery as you have both had decent numbers done to you.The important thing is that you guys will recover. Bikes can be replaced. I saw it at Experience last week when I dropped by, and hoped it wasn't you, especially so soon  🙁

Anonymous
    Inactive

good lord… this must be the worse one yet. best wishes for a quick recovery.i got hit on the side on my last riding day in vietnam (last week) too. luckily wasn't doing very fast. i grinned at the other motorcyclist; he gave me a dirty look. that's that. ya, it was my fault. made an illegal u-turn...like everyone else.  ;D

Anonymous

That Shah – he's just a rebel without a pause.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Crikey matey  😮 Best wishes for a good recovery as you have both had decent numbers done to you.The important thing is that you guys will recover. Bikes can be replaced. I saw it at Experience last week when I dropped by, and hoped it wasn't you, especially so soon  🙁

I can't imagine what sebastian and the boys thought when the bike turned up without warning....still waiting to find out if it's completley trashed or repairable.Rince

Anonymous
    Inactive

It is with great regret that I have to inform you of the death of yet another great machine, BINKY the 2nd has been unoficially condemed to the spares bin !!!I am awaiting the official word from Protecta but as far as Sebastian at Experience  can see there is little hope of a reprieve from the dismantling crew.I have no immediate plans for a replacement,fortunatley I have fared better than the bike and with the help of some metal and a few screws I was able to be patched up and am just waiting for all the biological processess to come to an effectual end. At this moment in time I am of the opinion that my motorcycling days are over. Barbara is recovering well and has now got 60 degrees of movement in her knee, but has been signed off work for another 6 weeks.I too do not expect to return to work for another 6 weeks at least.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Vale, Binky the Second  :'(Perhaps something like this to remember your trusty steed, and your survival of the crash (albeit with nasty injuries).  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qpBaNAOdXQThis shrine, probably the only motorcycle shrine in India, is dedicated to the Motorcycle Devta, also called Bullet Baba. The god is a Royal Enfield Bullet 350 and such is faith that hundreds of devotees turn up every day to pray for a safe journey. The shrine is near Chotila village, around 20 km away from Pali en route to Jodhpur on the highway.The tale’s simple: 1991, a man—reportedly drunk—coming home on a motorcycle, a tree by the side of the road, a fatal accident.  The bike is taken to the police station, and vanishes only to appear next to the tree.  Police take the bike back to the station, empty the fuel tank and chain it up thinking it's a prank.  Overnight, the bike vanishes again, and is found once more at the tree.  So the bike stays where, and a shrine is born.  Om Singh, the rider, has been seen at the shrine and has appeared at other crashes to help those involved.  Local villagers say his spirit still hovers around the place and they can hear the Royal Enfield rev up at night.We parked our Enfield up next to the tree, and joined other worshipers in their clockwise walk around Om Singh's bike.  We had a Buddhist kata (prayer scarf) from the Bouddhanath stupa in Kathmandu to keep us safe, and I touched this to the bike.  Over 8000km of riding in India, we had had only one minor ding.  This in a country that has over 100000 reported road deaths per year.Superstitious much?  Yeah nah...But that kata is now wrapped around our R12RT's handlebars...

Anonymous
    Inactive

Vale, Binky the Second  :'(Perhaps something like this to remember your trusty steed, and your survival of the crash (albeit with nasty injuries).  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qpBaNAOdXQThis shrine, probably the only motorcycle shrine in India, is dedicated to the Motorcycle Devta, also called Bullet Baba. The god is a Royal Enfield Bullet 350 and such is faith that hundreds of devotees turn up every day to pray for a safe journey. The shrine is near Chotila village, around 20 km away from Pali en route to Jodhpur on the highway.The tale’s simple: 1991, a man—reportedly drunk—coming home on a motorcycle, a tree by the side of the road, a fatal accident.  The bike is taken to the police station, and vanishes only to appear next to the tree.  Police take the bike back to the station, empty the fuel tank and chain it up thinking it's a prank.  Overnight, the bike vanishes again, and is found once more at the tree.  So the bike stays where, and a shrine is born.  Om Singh, the rider, has been seen at the shrine and has appeared at other crashes to help those involved.  Local villagers say his spirit still hovers around the place and they can hear the Royal Enfield rev up at night.We parked our Enfield up next to the tree, and joined other worshipers in their clockwise walk around Om Singh's bike.  We had a Buddhist kata (prayer scarf) from the Bouddhanath stupa in Kathmandu to keep us safe, and I touched this to the bike.  Over 8000km of riding in India, we had had only one minor ding.  This in a country that has over 100000 reported road deaths per year.Superstitious much?  Yeah nah...But that kata is now wrapped around our R12RT's handlebars...

Thanks for sharing that with us,what a delightfull story......perhaps I should turn our battered top box ( which is the only piece we have left ) into our mail box as a tribute to Binkys short life with us.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.