Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Right hand drive headlight adjustment?

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

I don't think we will have to make the adjustment to the headlights often. I think all the countries we pass through are right hand drive. I just don't want any hassle at borders having to prove that the bike is compliant. We are giving the bikes their final service at Experience in June before crating up. But it was Experience that suggested the stickytape solution I think.Cheers,Kennif

The parts not shown in your exploded diagram are the reflector and the lens: apparently (said he, having clicked thorugh umpteen websites seeking (bad pun alert) illumination) on the GS the lens is a relatively plain-jane item, to change the beam throw you must change the reflector.It occurs to me that your cheapest and simplest option might be to contact a dealer in the US of A or Canada and arrange for them to swap your reflectors as you rock by their 'hood - there seems to be a bit of, "We don't give too much of a ....." abroad in NZ dealerships.  Have you asked the Living BMW Parts Legend, Neil Walsh, about this? If anybody in NZ can give you a straightforward answer and local price it will be Neil. I'd (almost) bet money he would suggest getting it done in North America, all same like me, making allowance for the Cullingworth Concept on local prices.

Edward Hunkin
    Participant

I don't think we will have to make the adjustment to the headlights often. I think all the countries we pass through are right hand drive. I just don't want any hassle at borders having to prove that the bike is compliant. We are giving the bikes their final service at Experience in June before crating up. But it was Experience that suggested the stickytape solution I think.Cheers,Kennif

The parts not shown in your exploded diagram are the reflector and the lens: apparently (said he, having clicked thorugh umpteen websites seeking (bad pun alert) illumination) on the GS the lens is a relatively plain-jane item, to change the beam throw you must change the reflector.It occurs to me that your cheapest and simplest option might be to contact a dealer in the US of A or Canada and arrange for them to swap your reflectors as you rock by their 'hood - there seems to be a bit of, "We don't give too much of a ....." abroad in NZ dealerships.  Have you asked the Living BMW Parts Legend, Neil Walsh, about this? If anybody in NZ can give you a straightforward answer and local price it will be Neil. I'd (almost) bet money he would suggest getting it done in North America, all same like me, making allowance for the Cullingworth Concept on local prices.

As noted above you need to change the headlight reflector to alter the dip beam pattern - not a cheap exercise because the reflector is an integral part of the headlight - labeled 1 in your diagram!However, check out posts #3 and #4 on this link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=689849  This is a quick and dirty temporary fix that should be OK for your trip purpose.CheersBrian Z 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Here is another diagram of the headlight – this one has a left-right adjustment shown. does anyone know what this is? I have attached the diagram. (I think!)Kennif

Anonymous
    Inactive

Right.I think I have answered my own question. I could have deleted the post but the diagram looks kinda interesting anyway. Kennif

Anonymous
    Inactive

I'm a bit late I know but the R1150GS has a small adjuster for left and right hand side light throw that takes about a minute to adjust, if you take the headlight cowl off and look closely above the lights there's a tiny little screw that needs unscrewing and then there's a plastic lug that needs swopping over.  It's detailed in the Haynes manual PM me if you want the detail

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks AlexThe bikes are well on their way now - in Mexico i think en route for Vancouver. (Go figure!). We'll have a chat to BMW in Vancouver about it.  Meanwhile, Experience BMW in Auckland have fitted (and charged for) a "headlight conversion" which I presume is the sticky tape solution.We''l see how it goes.Cheers,Ken

Brian
    Participant

If it is of any help, I wouldn't ride after dark here in the states. Too many big critters like deer and in Maine, moose. I liked it in NZ. You keep all the big ones behind fences!!Hope you make it to New England. If you do, stop by for a visit.Cheers, Jim

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks JimThe way motorbikes are set up in NZ they have the headlights on all the time. But yes - I doubt we'll do much after dark riding. I don't think we'll make it to New England somehow - more of a focus on the west coast I think and then through to Central and South America.But you never know!!  🙂Ken

Brian
    Participant

Hi Ken,Head lamps must be on all the time here too. And I think the cops in this country have bigger fish to fry than a couple of bikers. You know all those terrorists that are running around the states!! Unless they are on bikes too!Or bikers with loud pipes. Nah they just seem to ignore them alsoCheers, Jim

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dip beam unit on the 1150GS rotates by 90 degrees to change the dip throw for the other side of the road. But I think you're talking 1200, and sounds like they don't?For what it's worth, I never changed the dip on various UK spec Japanese bikes I rode around Europe and never had any hassle night or day. No help if somebody checks at the border, but I doubt anyone would notice particularly in daytime.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.