Home Forums General Discussion Riding Gravel and Off Road – Learning – Books / DVDs

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

I'm looking for some help here.I'm wanting to spend a bit more time riding gravel and off road.Books - Does anyone have suggestions for good books about riding techniques that is an easy read and worthwhile?DVD's - And my preferred option is watching a video. So are there any good video's or DVD's that any of you know of.... or does someone have one that would be a good watch?Lastly is there anyone around who can put up with showing me a think or two? I'm happy to travel North or South of Auckland to hook up for a gravel or off road ride. If you are interested can you PM me and/or post here.That last one must have been second to last because last would have to be is there anyone interested in hooking up for rides in the North Island and in the greater Auckland region. And this would mean a fair way out of Auckland would be fine. I can generally skip off during a weekday as long as I schedule my work right and have been working hard.Cheers - Des(Alex, I know you're up for a ride I figure there must be some others)

Dave Ross
    Anonymous

There are many great gravel rides out west. I was riding the gravel roads at Woodhill forest yesterday. Last week I received my long awaited skid plate for my adventure and am now looking forward to riding the bike on some of these great gravel roads and trails. If some others are interested we could head out this Sunday for a gravel ride leaving Westgate at 9.30am.Des I may be able to show you a trick or two on riding gravel. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi DeanI'm around Sunday. I'm doing a long ride Saturday and plan to make it back late. I'm assuming i'll make it back to Auckland and will join you Sunday. My plan is to make it home Saturday regardless of the time on the bike.  How long are we heading out for and do we stop in the middle for a coffee etc.I've been reading, so I'll be keen to put into practise what I've been imaginging as the way to ride off road (more confidently). Cheers - DesSo where is the nearest bit of decent metal to central Auckland. Road names would be good. I spent the day out with Alex a few weeks back between SH 16 and SH 1 and there was a fair bit in their. The Kaipara flats and hills etc.

Anonymous

Hi DeanI'm around Sunday. I'm doing a long ride Saturday and plan to make it back late. I'm assuming i'll make it back to Auckland and will join you Sunday. My plan is to make it home Saturday regardless of the time on the bike.  How long are we heading out for and do we stop in the middle for a coffee etc.I've been reading, so I'll be keen to put into practise what I've been imaginging as the way to ride off road (more confidently). Cheers - DesSo where is the nearest bit of decent metal to central Auckland. Road names would be good. I spent the day out with Alex a few weeks back between SH 16 and SH 1 and there was a fair bit in their. The Kaipara flats and hills etc.

Wood Hill forest at the end of Rimmers Road and the others you mention. 

Anonymous
    Inactive

There are many great gravel rides out west. I was riding the gravel roads at Woodhill forest yesterday. Last week I received my long awaited skid plate for my adventure and am now looking forward to riding the bike on some of these great gravel roads and trails. If some others are interested we could head out this Sunday for a gravel ride leaving Westgate at 9.30am.Des I may be able to show you a trick or two on riding gravel. 

Dean, it looks like Sunday is the first day of daylight saving so we'll be meeting Sunday at 9.30am which will be 8.30am on the day before time. I'm fine with that time. Is 9.30 Sunday still good for you?Cheers

Anonymous

Yes I'll be there. If the weather is wet I'll be staying in the pit 🙂 🙂

Anonymous
    Inactive

Fair enough on the weather. Define wet, is that the odd shower or all day rain.So you'll be making the decision am on Sunday. I'll check in here. Can you PM me either way if you are or aren't by 9am or just post here.Cheers.

dave.valma
    Participant

The good thing about woodhill is that it is rideable wet or dry.

Anonymous

Sunday 8am I'll post if we are riding. 😎 It's great to see some keen gravel riders. 😀 This was a ride down southDSC01790.jpg

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks, I'll check in. We had a great ride up North today and stumbled onto the Hokianga Country Music Festival. Sadly earlier in the day in Dargaville I discovered that Mark Williams and Dragon had done a one off show the night before.A good day all round. Stunning weather till we hit rain just South of Wellsford at 6.30pm heading for home.

Anonymous

It looks like there will be some shows out west. I'm going to give it a miss today and take my wife to breakfast.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks – have a good breakfast.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.