Home Forums Ride Reports Ride to Whangarei

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

Thanks to DTY for leading this ride. It's amazing to watch him through that R75/6 around the corners. Just before Waipu we caught up with the “narrow band of rain” that was covering the Whangarei area. S we cut our losses and pulled into the Pizza barn. No sooner had we entered the place filled up rapidly. The pizzas were good and it was nice to be out of the rain.Dave enjoying his seafood chowder.DSC00393.jpgwhile some of us were still waiting for the food.DSC00394-1.jpgAfter the meal it still rained. Gerda, Haggis and I decided to take the gravel roads back. Sure enough, the minute we pulled off the main road we hit dry gravel, so much for a dustless ride.DSC00397.jpgHaggis showing Gerda how to "flat-foot" a GS.DSC00400.jpg We went through the Waipu Gorge and the turned into Doctor Hill road followed by Mountain road you end up meeting Hw1 just north of Kaiwaka. Haggis then to the quick way home, while Gerda and I went to Helensville, via some more gravel and had another cup of coffee.It turned out to be a pretty good ride. Just not to Whangarei...

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sorry to miss this. Went up to Mangawhai and back Friday / Saturday, had to get back to run training this morning…. Ak marathon looms large! Great pix Alex, those roads are our stamping grounds when we are at the breach ( except the gravelly ones…!) The Waipu Gorge is an interesting bit of riding going upwards, a little easier coming down, but quite tight! Cheers Loinsps the Series 6 helmet works well, although I think it is a bit more noisy than my also pretty new Shoei. Mind I may well still have bits open I shouldn't! DStill on learning curve...( for a helmet!!)

Nick Taber
    Participant

Nice photos Alex.  Thanks for showig me the way back over the metal and thanks to Dave for leading the way up. 

Anonymous

Had to do some work around the estate 🙄 due to next weekends 42nd Traverse trail ride.  😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

An excellent ride!Man, it's been a long, wet winter and I was really hoping we wouldn't get rained out.  It wasn't looking very good when we got to Wellsford, but as we pushed on it got better until we stopped in Waipu.That Waipu gorge is TIGHT!  I was riding the R75 motard style with my foot out in a few corners!  Fun stuff.  I can't wait to freshen up the suspension on the old bike.  I'm hoping some new springs front & rear will increase the ground clearance so it's not scraping all the time.It was good to have the club Pres along to spot speed cameras as well!  This is the second time I have led the group and coincidentally, the last time was to Waipu too!DTY

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

This is the second time I have led the group and coincidentally, the last time was to Waipu too!DTY

True, but this was supposed to have been a ride to Whangarei  😀

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.