Home Forums General Discussion Reserve fuel switch on R1100RT

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Is there such a thing on the 1998 R1100Rt model and if so, where is it located?ThanksJohn in Mosgiel.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

No, your bike does not have a reserve switch. It is fuel injected. You should have a fuel level display and a fuel warning light instead. Setting the trip meter to zero when you fill up should also give you an indication when it's time to refill.

David Coyle
    Participant

Ok, thanks for the reply.Yes, Ive a bar graph fuel level indication, but Ive never struck the Low Fuel Level warning, do al the bar start to flash or something similar. Ive managed to get 450km to a tankful, then today I did 350km on 14.5lt traveling between 100 & 120kph. Im interested in the fuel range as a few of us from work ate thinking of doing a few 1000km events. If I can get away with just one fuel stop enroute it will determine stops etc. Not that my posterior will take 500km a time. Based on todays trial  a 5min stop every 150km seems to be a comfortable regime.🙂John.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I am sure you will get a response from the RT riders soon. I don't know the range of an RT or its tank volume. The light will come on once the last bar has disappeared. I'd say you'll then have another 50+ km to go before you'll have to start pushing. 350km on 14.5 liters is very impressive. You must be a smooth rider.

Mark Williams
    Participant

John,I too have wondered about the range my R1100RT.  According to my handbook, the tank capacity is 25 litres.  Given while commuting I get about 20 Kms to the litre I should get 500 kms per tank.  My maiximum distance it 428 Kms using 21.57 therefore there should be about 4 litres left and 80 kms!.  At this time the light had been on a while and I was down to one bar on the fuel gauge.  I have wondered at times if my tank is the volume the hand book says  given the numbers above. I am off on a trip to Christchurch the week before Easter and i will have a good change to test it on reasonable open road running.In any event, the RT goes a really long way on a tank compared to some of the other machines I have riden.Cheers 🙂

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

There is always a bit of petrol in the tank that the pump can reach. So don't count on every last drop. Sometimes you can lean the bike to get a bit more to the pump  side, but with an RT leaning could be tricky, but pushing would be even harder. It is also not a good idea to let the pump squeal, because it is starting to run dry.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.