Home Forums General Discussion Reporting motorcycle crashes

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Motorcycle.com has an interesting and heartfelt critique of the reporting of fatal motorcycle crashes in some news media. In this case it's in the USA, but with the increased competition for 'click-bait' on some news sites in New Zealand it could well apply here also.The article "Head Shake – Of Click Bait and Decency" can be found at: http://www.motorcycle.com/features/head-shake-of-click-bait-and-decency.html"We live in a contentious time, and, no, I’m not talking about the present-day election cycle. We daily encounter a world where the outrageous garners our attention, where “news” stories are presented to us in an inflammatory fashion, where the purveyors of this new-age “news” seek to stir our emotions rather than to inform us or make us think: A new age of the aggrieved and the angry."The internet is perfectly suited to this sort of “news” dissemination. Feedback is instantaneous, conclusions are jumped to, judgments are made in seconds, and there is no time for reflection. And lost in all this is that many times there are real human beings whose lives have been altered by the events “reported.” We objectify them and oftentimes self-righteously condemn them."

Robin
    Participant

I've noticed the change in headlines too. Facebook (a side column) has a line something like; '…You won't believe what happens next!' I do not get sucked in and apply reverse psychology and don't go in. Most often there is nothing sensational in there anyway.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.