Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Refinishing 1200 gs rocker cover

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Washed my bike today… still covered in clay and grass from the CCA … and discovered the cost of dropping it in those clay and rock infested challenge sections… a string of nasty gouges on the rocker cover (rhs where crash bar is a little less protective)… can these be refinished by a good bike painter or is the coating some supertechbmw  stuff? ….anyone?

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Washed my bike today... still covered in clay and grass from the CCA ... and discovered the cost of dropping it in those clay and rock infested challenge sections... a string of nasty gouges on the rocker cover (rhs where crash bar is a little less protective)... can these be refinished by a good bike painter or is the coating some supertechbmw  stuff? ....anyone?

I would use a bit of filler and get a rattle can made up with matching paint, that should do the trick. The I "would part" is not entirely correct, because so far I have not been motivated enough to do anything about my own covers. I even have a second set that I could do up and change over. Experience sends them out to a spray painter to get them done. I had used the 1150 on the last CCA, dropped it four times, but only once while I was moving at any speed. They had 24 water crossings last time and I got a bit too cocky on one of them. The R80GS was much easier to ride and apart from leaning against a gorse bush(not falling over :-D) I got through without any trouble. It's the low first gear that makes all the difference. I think the bike weighs almost as much as a 1200 at 208kg.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.