Home Forums General Discussion RC8 1190 Test ride

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

How I spent Wednesday afternoon:2652484114_ba577ec45d_b.jpgHE HE HE.  HA HA HA.DTY

Dave Ross

How come I didn't get to see it? So what's the verdict?

Jim Young
    Participant

Yah and why wasn't I invited ???????????????????????looks good

Anonymous
    Inactive

I had booked the new 530 in for its first service on Wed at 2pm.  The service was going to take about 2-2.5 hrs, so the dealer suggested I take the RC8 out instead of waiting around.  So I did the Old North-Peak Rd-Kaukap-Waitoki-Dairy Flat-Coatesville-Riverhead Loop.  The bike is an 1190 v-twin with fuel injection, so it's a bit snatchy on and off the gas, but it sounds great and it goes great.  It supposedly has 140hp at the wheel, around 5hp less than the K12R and a lot less weight, but it didn't feel nearly as grunty as the K12R.  Mind you, I wasn't pushing it TOO hard.  What can you do with a $35K bike that's not yours?Comfortable?  No, though not as bad as a GSXR 750.  But it's meant to be a race bike and as I got more familiar with it, I wasn't sitting in the seat as much.  Suspension?  Very good.  It changes from side to side in the tight stuff like a race bike should, but is a bit stiff on the motorway, but again, race bike.I didn't have time to show it off to anyone, sorry.  But I took a couple of minutes to snap some photos near the real estate office at Hwy16.I'm certain that if you guys go down there and act interested, they'll hand over the keys no problem!!DTY

Dave Ross

Sound like a great second bike for someone with plenty of cash or a real enthusiast or both :-).I usually don't ride shop bikes unless I am genuinely interested. There is no way I'd buy this without a lotto win, it's just too specialized for me. The problem with these modern sports bikes is that they are so good, that you need to go really fast to get your kicks. Long term you'll get caught out, one way or another. They are downright boring and uncomfortable at lower speeds and I don't have the restraint to keep them there. I like what you've done, one fast bike and one slow one. I haven't worked out which is what yet.I've just ordered some Elka shocks for my R1150GS. On impulse I got into a group buy on advrider. My Showa shocks are getting that jarring feeling again and they bounce around corners....see it's too easy to justify spending sh*tloads of cash on bikes, no point putting yourself at risk by riding any you can't afford.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I completely agree Alex.  One of the reasons I started thinking about replacing the K12R was that it wasn't much fun at legal speeds, and it was so easy to do speeds that were WAY illegal.Incidentally, I must not have been the only one with the afternoon off.  I saw a new(ish) red 1200 GS near Westgate at around 2:30 and I met a a blue F800S coming out of Riverhead around 3:15.  Obviously guys who have cashed in their stocks or are supported by very understanding partners!!DTY

Anonymous

Great Motard Dave. Bet you cant wait to take it for a blat. Look forward to see it on the road some time. Hope you have a trickle charger for R75 as the battery goes flat when you are not riding it for weeks.

Dave Ross

Good idea Lugi, it's useful if you have two bikes. I do think he will be riding it a lot. I still can't get over how he rode that thing on Woodcock road, he thought it was a sports bike.

Dennis Prendergast
    Participant

Sound like a great second bike for someone with plenty of cash or a real enthusiast or both :-).I usually don't ride shop bikes unless I am genuinely interested. There is no way I'd buy this without a lotto win, it's just too specialized for me. The problem with these modern sports bikes is that they are so good, that you need to go really fast to get your kicks. Long term you'll get caught out, one way or another. They are downright boring and uncomfortable at lower speeds and I don't have the restraint to keep them there. I like what you've done, one fast bike and one slow one. I haven't worked out which is what yet.I've just ordered some Elka shocks for my R1150GS. On impulse I got into a group buy on advrider. My Showa shocks are getting that jarring feeling again and they bounce around corners....see it's too easy to justify spending sh*tloads of cash on bikes, no point putting yourself at risk by riding any you can't afford.

What's the story with the Elka shocks?  Price? Where to buy? Why Elka?  Looking at doing the same at some stage.  Thanks in advance.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I've got a pigtail hooked up to each bike, so I can put the (just one) trickle charger on whichever one I'm not riding.  The R75 has a new battery, but is the most finicky to start.  And the KTM has a ridiculously small battery, with only the kick starter working when its cold.  Who knows, maybe when it's broken in it will loosen up a bit.  Anyway, trickle charger options abound.Luigi - I'm signing up for a track day on August 29.  Are you game to put the old SV through its paces?  (sorry, old Raptor!)I'll likely bring the KTM to RaglanDTY

Anonymous
    Inactive

Dave, you could try give it a few kicks to turn it over a few times then do the electric start. I have to do this on very cold days with the off road bike I have. If I don't the elctric dies first and i have to kick anyway. The kicking routine first is a safer route.

Jim Young
    Participant

Good to see you still sticking up for the K1200R in Kiw Rider mag Dave  😀

Anonymous
    Inactive

Yeah, that Racing Dave guy didn't have a clue what the bike was about!  He rode it like a nana and told everyone it was a great bike for commuting, but at least the write-up was boring.

Anonymous

Dave thanks for the thought. God knows i need a bit of bike time, havent ridden it for weeks. Can you give me some details on where  and if you can a weather forcast?Best Regards Luigi

Anonymous
    Inactive

LuigiIt's a MotoTT track day at Taupo.  I've done five track days with these guys now and they're a very safe, sane and professional outfit.  They encourage people to ride at their own pace, and have marshalls on the track riding the best lines through the corners.  You can follow them for a few laps to get familiar with the track, then do your own thing.  You can ask for advice (from Shawn Harris!), and even ask a marshall to follow you  and give you pointers afterward.  There are usually three of four group divisions, depending on experience.  No one is ever pushed to ride above their comfort level, and it's a very casual, friendly and adult atmosphere.  I have been to track days in USA, AUS and NZ and they are by far the most professional group I've encountered.  I've almost got Alex convinced to come with me next time!If you ever want to try a Pukekohe open day, I would encourage you to do a couple of MotoTT track days first.  You need the confidence and steely gaze of a seasoned track dayer to cop the attitude of the fastest straight in the southern hemisphere.  They're a bit rough-and-ready.  You get no coaching or coddling, just a five minute warning and it's "All Skate", with no slow-medium-fast groups.  You're lumped in with all the other bikes, and they will pass you inside, outside or wherever.  The only consolation is being able to stretch your bike's legs to its limits like nowhere else.  I managed 257kph on my GPS on the old K12R, and I thought my helmet was going to be sucked off!  I got some consistent 1:10's and was happy.  Now that the K12R is gone, I'll probably never go back there again.http://www.motott.co.nz/DTY

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.