Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk Rain-X or similiar, does it work?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • Author

Has anyone used this type of product on System 4 visors? Is it worth getting?
    What are the alternatives? I am sure who ever invents something useful to keep visors clear would make a bit of money.

Jim Young
    Participant

Hi Alex,

I have been using a similar product "Rain Away" windscreen rain repellent, of which I was fortunate enough to get a sample of from the Airforce on my system 4 visor.
    Works pretty good but would not recommend using this or any similar product on the inside of your visor due to the anti fog coating.
    I have used "plex"in the past and found that to be ok too on the outside of the visor.

Jim Young
    Participant

Oh and forgot to mention, I find that at slow speeds they don’t seem to work as good as you need a bit of momentum to make the rain bead up and run off.

Murray
    Participant

Hi Alex. Rain-X is great and quite cost effective if used correctly, but only on the outside of the visor. Of course you need more in Auckland!!

Dave Ross

Thankks for that guys. Been riding in the rain quite a bit lately. I am starting to enjoy it. But a couple of days ago I got caught in a real down pour on the motorway all I could do was to guess the general direction and keep going.

Don't want to face the same again on the way south to the Rally.

Murray
    Participant

No worries Alex. Once you’re South of the Bombays your chance of rain should be much slimmer and you shouldn’t have to play that guessing game for too long. Not entirely sure if we’re making it to the rally. If you’re passing by our way (and of course you’d try Vinegar Hill then come down the Eastern flank and take on the Rimutaka Hill road just for fun) do drop in for beverage and a chat, we’ve spare room if you need it. Merry Christmas, all the best for a happy, safe and prosperous New Year.

All the best.

Dave Ross

Hi Garry,
    we're booked into a Hostel in Wanganui. Looks like we'll be missing out on some roads because of it. Maybe we'll catch it on the return trip.

Thanks for the offer. You should make an effort to ride down. Probably not such a big deal for you anymore. For Gerda and I it will be our first big trip on the bikes.

Cheers,
    Alex

David
    Participant

I use it on the car and it’s great. I tried a little on my Shoei visor and it started to craze the plastic so dont use it.
    Andy King, of 18x Rusty 1000 miler fame said that a very fine spray of 100:1 dishwashing liquid / water works. Next year he will rig a windscreen washer pump and reservoir, aimed at his visor from the top of the screen......

Dave Ross
    DickT wrote:
    I use it on the car and it’s great. I tried a little on my Shoei visor and it started to craze the plastic so dont use it.
    Andy King, of 18x Rusty 1000 miler fame said that a very fine spray of 100:1 dishwashing liquid / water works. Next year he will rig a windscreen washer pump and reservoir, aimed at his visor from the top of the screen......

From what I've read it does affect some visors, but not all of them. I have a spare visor that I can use to field test. Now all I need to do is to find a place that sells the stuff. You'll know that I am ready to test, when the rain suddenly stops for the next two weeks.
    Murray
    Participant

Most Caltex service stations sell Rain-X. Repco, Super Cheap and those other auto accessory outlets all have it down here.

Warren
    Participant

I have been using Pledge furniture polish for the last couple of years. Does not damage System 4 visor, cleans off road film really well and smells good too. Cheap as. Spray on liberally and clean off with an old, well washed, towel. Water repelling lasts about a week of daily use but I use it more often when weather is wet.

Anonymous

I’ll second Pledge. Our whanau have all used it for a very long time, not least because it tends to fill in the microscopic imperfections that your visor inevitably collects with use, so you get less dazzle at night. Waterrepellent properties are good: turn your head a wee bit, rain slides off.
    The downside? Bugs stick to it. Got a hell buildup of Ellesmere midges earlier this year - little buggahs slid off the blade of the R1100S, shone with the same can of Pledge (angle of attack involved there?), and all collected on me visor.
    Ah well, ya can tell a happy motorcyclist by the bugs between his teeth.
    Merry Christmas to all, keepya shiny sides up, enjoy ya travels.

Theo.Duy
    Participant

Anti Fog Visor Systems. I have tried many options, but latest one (and the most expensive) is PINLOCK visor, made in Netherlands. Some helmets have a pre-fitted option for these, others have a self-fitting kit. I used the self – fitting kit for the Shark S800 helmet. It is unrivalled — no foggging at all, ever — since fitting. Tested in 2hrs + of pouring rain, central Nth Island going to Flock Hill Rally, in the dark! No NZ distributor, though – but the website gives contact in Oz, and the distributor is very helpful, product arrives within a week. http://www.pinlock.com/default1.asp
    Hope you find what works!
    Cheers, Peter ST 🙂

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

😀 I’ll third the use of good old Pledge. You can clean the whole outside of the helmet at the same time as waterproofing the outside of the visor. It used to come in liquid form which was good for carrying a small bottle for use on a run but haven’t seen it in anything but aerosol for some time.

Malcolm

Dave Ross

I’ve used Pledge for the last 3500km and it works as advertised. Like malcolm said, use it to clean the whole helmet.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.