Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk R80GS high fuel consumption

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Participant

The Bings properly maintained will last as long as the rest of the bike, but they will always be hungry. Mikunis are an option, you will get better fuel economy and they will hold their tune longer, If you were considering replacing the existing Bings with new Bings, then Mikuni's would be a better proposition, both cost wise and economy wise.

Rick Ratcliff
    Participant

I sold my R80/7 to a mate with 127 000k on the clock. (His son rides it to University now)All those Bings had done to them in the 55 000k I owned it for was to have the diaphragms replaced twice.Once shortly after I bought it and once when I sold it - and only because the buyer was a mate. I know of a R90S locally with Mikunis on and they are a "performance upgrade" as you said - for the increase in performance read increase in fuel used.It goes very well, but twist that right wrist and she drinks in gulps!I was getting poor throttle response during a trip about 10 000k after I bought the bike.  My local mechanic was along on the trip and we removed the inlet manifolds between the air cleaner and the carbs.  The RH carb was not opening properly and while the mechanic had lunch with the guys, I stripped Bing to check the diaphragm.  There was a tiny tear in the rubber - I repaired it (with a strip of PVC insulation tape) and put it back together again.  We did a rough re-balancing of the carbs and continued on the trip. Back home, I had the mechanic take them apart with a view to fitting a rebuild kit, but all that he said was necessary was a new pair of diaphragms.  He proved correct and I carried a spare around with me for another 45 000k. I never used it.  Still in the OEM box but vacuum packed, my mate's son carries it around now.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

Welcome to the forum and thanks for the input, Richard. My bike has done 108000km most of those as a rental bike. I figure that the carbs haven't been touched before. I have ordered a complete rebuild set from Bing. As I intend to keep the bike, and keep it in excellent mechanical condition, I will make sure that these sort of jobs are done. At todays fuel prices, I'll probably save as much as that cost, in a few thousand k's. I am still waiting on the second throttle cable, so I can get the bike on the road again.

Rick Ratcliff
    Participant

😀 My 1980 R80/7 had a 'sweet spot' at 4000rpm (110km/h) that would keep going uphill and down dale and return me 5,5lit/100km.If I cranked it any more, she would increase steadily and at 130km/hr she would use 6,5lit/100km.The best I get out of my 1980 R100S is 6,1lit/100 - but that is at a different 'sweet spot' on a different bike..5000rpm. 😎There has been a lot of development in 28 years...! 😉

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

The R80 now runs on sub 6L/100km. Considering that this is on almost full on off-road tyres I am very  happy with it. The 1150 with more weight and more power does around 5.5 liters in touring mode.

dave.valma
    Participant

Congratulations Alex, It sounds like all the fettling has paid off.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.