Home Forums General Discussion R75 /6 report

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

So took the new(to me) 750 for a shakedown run today with Alex & Gerda, Steven RT, Tony Honda, and Dean & Barb in their official BMW-sponsored recovery vehicle.  The little bike was definitely up to the task, and performed well considering what I asked of it.  I think I'd gone a little soft with the K12R, hardly ever using the clutch, because by the end of our 200km ride, my left forearm was getting pretty sore.  These things have such heavy flywheels, clutchless shifting seems to be unkind to the drivetrain, at least when you're caning it.Apart from some old hard tyres, wooden brakes and aging Konis, it's definitely in great shape considering it's 32 years old.  That said, I'd like some advice:1. Suggestions on tyres?  ME33/ME99 is the old standby, but are there better ones?  Not interested in long life.2. Suppliers of parts.  I'm definitely in the market for a new front disc and pads.  Braided steel lines?3. Do you know anyone who can rebuild or service my old Konis?  Or is it cheaper to get new ones?Thanks!  I'm really excited to have a vintage machine again.  It feels like "real" motorcycling!I was shocked at all the people who came up to me and wanted to talk about the bike too.  I was half expecting to get the "Airhead cold shoulder" that's been going around!  heheDTY2640588389_12cf63eb28_b.jpg2641416198_008f1dbf83_b.jpg

Dave Ross

I've had Macadam 50 in the past, they worked well on my CX500macadam50.jpgOn the K75 I had Conti tours Tk16 & Tk17 I was happy with those as wellConti_tk16_tk17.jpgOf course you can just stick to what ever goes under the name of ME33 these days.Considering the brakes, tyres and suspension of your bike and the fact that it was your first ride on it you went remarkably fast, faster than I would have gone for sure.My little slide shook me up a little bit, but you somehow managed to stay in touch. Just take it easy from now on, until you've got the bike sorted, before you get stuck up the exhaust of someone else's bike :-).

Dave Ross

Here is some inspiration for you 🙂

Folker Liebenow
    Participant

Motorworks in the UK do some cast iron discs, cheaper than original, which brake a heap better than the standard BMW stainless discs as well. They aren't drilled, so you don't end up with cracked discs either. Their website is http://www.motorworks.co.uk. They could also provide braided lines – just make sure that they have the appropriate standard printed on them to keep the WoF man happy. I get all of my parts from either them or Motobins now (both in the UK). Allow 10 days for freight, try to keep shipments under NZD 400 to avoid GST. They don't charge VAT for export. For tyres – I'm using Metzlers now, simply for availability, as other stawarts are no longer available, so can't recommend anything other, but would be interested in other peoples experiences. For the older bike I use a ME77 in the rear, which I find better than the ME99 for that application. Just make sure you get the right speed rating (H). You can rebuilt the Konis. The tooling for these was purchased by IKON in Aus when Koni went out of m/cycle shock production. Any of the suspension guru could likely do this for you if you don't feel confident doing it yourself.      

Anonymous
    Inactive

Excellent!  Thanks for that.  Now I have some places to start!DTY

dave.valma
    Participant

Eurobike in New Plymouth can do the Koni rebuild and the braided lines. They used to be the Koni importer, and I believe they kept the rebuild kits when they changed to importing Hagon.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.