Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk R12ST final drive

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

At approx. 100,000 k's the bearings in the final drive on our R12ST were replaced by Ray's team at the Mount. The “wandering” back wheel was back to following the front. Last weekend though (15,000 k's after the bearings were replaced), strange noises could be heard from the final drive, bit of a creak and groan while wheeling the bike around the motel, and an intermittent noise when at slow speed in towns. As we were miles from home it needed nursing back to Rotorua, with fingers crossed. The bike was trailered to the Mount with the expectation that the bearings had failed again. But not so, seems they were OK, it was the casings that were wearing metal away, allowing slop in the rear wheel. As I type, the casing is having metal built up and machined back to tolerances. Hopefully back on the road this weekend.

Mark Mackay
    Participant

Check out My add for GS final drive if Rays team cannot fix it. GS ratio a little lower,  top speed might drop but more get up and go.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Richard – thanks for that, top speed is not important to me, more get up and go is an interesting idea though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

meant to add to my original post that some second final drives were measured for wear, and all showed signs of missing metal where should've been. It seems it is not just the bearings etc that are the problem in the final drives

Mark Mackay
    Participant

Darryl from Mount M/Cs replaced main bearing in this one, every thing else seemed ok. Had traveled almost 80 Ks when rumble started, Stopped using bike and final drive was replaced.

Anonymous
    Inactive

main final drive crown wheel bearings went at 101k on my r1150rt. now gearbox input shaft bearing at 151k. what is the legendary 250k based on? multiple rebuilds? always scheduled services by Sebastian's team. bit like a great spade! how many new handles and heads? ah! but i enjoy riding my old bus.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Richardas an aside, if you fit a GS final drive to an ST or RT for that matter, do the ABS sensors etc all still work, or is there something that needs doing in the ECU to ensure all systems are go?

Mark Mackay
    Participant

Not sure, it will pay to check with Darryl. The ABS I think uses the speedo sensor which slips into the diff. If the part number for ST/GS is the same there should not be a problem. You could always try it, will PM You.

Anonymous
    Inactive

news from the Mount is that the rebuild of the final drive for the R12ST by re-introducing metal to where it had been worn away has been successful. The final drive is reassembled and the bike is back in one piece. Seems we learn something every day. I'm also assured that the final drive offered by Richard, whilst being of different ratios, would've bolted straight on. So there are at least two extra alternatives to a final drive failure. (1) replace bearings if the casings are ok, (2) if the casings are flogged out rebuild them and machine back to tolerances, (3) replace with a second hand final drive of the same or different R12 model (choose your ratio's), or (4) buy a brand new final drive (check your bank balance first though). Seems Saturday is going to be wet, but she's coming home no matter!

peter.trub
    Participant

Must be the time of season for final drives, I am heading to the Mount saturday to pick up the 11hundy. She will finaly get home from the Cape to Cape ride  🙂

Anonymous

Along with all you sufferers, both my BM's demonstrated it is ALWAYS final drive season for the marque.That said, even with a Scott oiler, I ain't gonna get a 1/4 million K's out of my current horse, or even close to it, before final drive bits and pieces become an issue.And I only ever had to clean oil off the back of my Bimmers when they blew seals, not every ride (thanks, Scott). 😮

Anonymous
    Inactive

The ST is back in the garage, the rear wheel is tight and true. Darryl explained that the surface that the main large ball bearing rides on was the surface that had worn. The machine shop sprayed new metal on and then machined back to tolerances. The job sheet indicates a new bearing as well. The wheel had movement in it back at 100,000 after the initial bearing failures, so I suspect wear on the surface may have already been present. Now when I grasp the wheel there is no side ways movement. Any sort of luck the new metal may even be better than the old surface. If that is the case a 200,000 indication on the speedo should be when it is next due to for bearings in that part of the bike. Cost was $734.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.