Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk R1200GS Fuel Pump electronic

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Went for a ride this morning. Got about 4k's down the road and motor cut out. Tried to restart. Motor starts but will only idle for a couple of seconds before cutting out again. Twisting the throttle just makes it cut out immediately. Bike has been ridden regularly and has clean fuel. Someone suggested that it's probably the fuel pump electronic needs replacing. Supposedly a common fault with the GS1200's.Any ideas out there?

Arne Rohde
    Participant

On early models the controller was a problem, but I don't know about later models. Fortunately it was easy to replace. On my 2004 GS the controller was replaced even though it was still working. I don't know if I've still got the original controller lying around somewhere, as I kept it as a spare in case the new one failed.I think the problem was that water could sit in the depression in the tank cover that had the controller mounted on it. Maybe you could dry it out and see if that helps?

Anonymous
    Inactive

Many thanks. Mine is a 2004 model also so I'll try drying out the depression and see what happens. I guess what you are calling the controller is the gizzmo that sits on the top of the fuel tank under a plastic cover behind the left hand side fairing.

Arne Rohde
    Participant

That's the one. The cover is easily removable.If drying it out doesn't help there is actually a 'fix' used by a number of owners. A directly wired bypass or a bypass cable. Do a search for r1200gs fuel pump controller bypass and you'll get pointers to descriptions on how to do it yourself, or to someone selling cables with connectors. Including this DIY one from advrider:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2768376Good luck.

Mark Mackay
    Participant

Sounds like the fuel pump relay[controller] mine did the same ,I fitted a spare one that I had herd failure is common.The new mk 3 version[all black ] is meant to be ok.About $400? Cheers Richard

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.