Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk R1200GS DIY Maitenance_Oil Filters?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi – curious to know of others experiences in setting out to do their own maintenanceAnyone had experience with using substitute filters as an alternative to BMW branded one?Jim von Baden (producer of tech maintenance videos) has posted the following list of substitutes at his site and under GSpot "Hall of Wisdom" over on ADVRider following ) haven't included the links as I don't want to guilty of an infraction with the mods 🙂"5.2 What is the part number for the oil filter? 1200: BMW part # 11427673541 Filter Here is an alternative list of filters: Oil filters:  FRAM is the correct FRAM but hard to find at WallyWorld. PH6063 FRAM is readily available and works PH3614 AC DELCO  PF-53 NAPA 1348 Mobil-1  M1-102 BMW  11.42-1 460 843 or 845 Mahle/knecht/microstar/tecafiltre (original part) OC91 Champion (of motorcycle range) C301 Purflux  LS188B Tech9 (France only, made by Mahle in fact) n°16 Hiflofiltro (from Thailand) HF-163 Mann-Hummel  MW712 Detlev Louis (Germany)  10050195 Toyota  08922-02004 or 90915-YZZB9 Perf-form (on http://www.perf-form.com)  BMW-1 UFI makes one too (italian)  Donit (www-motobins.co.uk) 43 10 133 For After May, '97, 1100RT  Purolator  P/N11421460845 AMSOIL  SMF122 Bosch  3330 WalMart  ST3614 Purolator  L00241 AC  PF53 The author of this table, the Honorable JVB, writes: Keep in mind that that list was originally compiled for the R1100/1150 bikes. But they will fit and work on an R1200. I will not personally attest to their suitability in either application. I only know that countless people have successfully used them on the R1100/1150, and more and more are using them on the R1200. I am aware of no reports of any issues with their use."thanks for reading

Dave Ross

Hi Aslan,I've used Mahle filters with no issues. On my K75S I used the Hiflofiltro until I couldn't get one of them off. I ended up having to cut it open and then machine a socket to fit the holes of the filter collar. That did the job. The bike had been serviced at Motohaus in Kingsland and the filter must have been overtightened. Anyway, apparently there are difference between filters and not all have the same amount of filter material inside. Years ago a guy cut a bunch of them open to compare them. Also, some filters from your list would just be re-branded products from the same company. I change mine every 10000km, together with an oil change and don't lose much sleep over it. 

Mark
    Participant

HiI have used hi flo for most of my bikes or K & N over the last 10 years with no problems

aegis4805
    Participant

Alex & Darryl – thanks for your replies – I bit the bullet and ordered the kit from Beemer Boneyard http://www.beemerboneyard.com/11427673541mk.html since I was needing the filter removal tool as wellCheers Aslan aka Stephen O

peter.trub
    Participant

Looks like a good buy Steven  8)I run the hi flo filters, when I take them off the oil is black and oily. anything more technical than that I will leave to experts.With my limited mechanical knowledge I have found a lot of stuff all comes out of the same factory,  painted with different numbers and colours, then sold at different prices. Unless you can find a website that compares the type and quantity of filter material inside the filter cartridge as well as the absolute micron rating, buy what makes you feel good and stick it on  ;DWill we be seeing you on the Cape to Cape mate? Its looking to be a couple of good days riding. Hell we might even have to get tee shirts  😉

Anonymous
    Inactive

cyclespot euro had very reasonably priced “knock-off” filter sockets. are all “R” the same filter/socket? from my recollection my socket cost so little, it is not worth the cost of a courier ticket around the country, you might as well own one. it has lasted two rounds so far, so has paid for itself. any recognizable brand of filter is likely to go the distance. once you abuse your service intervals, you need the safety of surface area of filter media inside the can. if what little media surface gets blocked, oil starvation is disastrous.where can i find out about cape to cape?

Anonymous

[quotewhere can i find out about cape to cape?]Here's a start, Hilton: http://bmwor.org.nz/forum/index.php/topic,2988

aegis4805
    Participant

Hi Colin and Black RT – Colin you're incredibly modest about your mechanical skill – I know you've replaced starter motors on your R11XX 🙂As a gold card holder now - I'm simply trying to do the basics myself - for the satisfaction and cost containment 🙂As to Cape to Cape (West to East) - Labour Weekend (October '13) see link here on ADVRider http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888538Colin - I'm very keen - have yet to negotiate a leave passMeantime - there's a Whanganui based Back Roads Riders event late this month that I plan on doing (both sides of the river) and other gravel - approx 300km total 80/20 seal / gravel mixcheers Stephen aka Aslan 🙂

aegis4805
    Participant

Re BlackRT's Q Are all filter removal tools the same – for R Series Oil Heads, Hex Heads, Cam Heads and now Water Heads?My answer - seems not - filter removal tool I have from my R11XX does not fit the filter on the R12Cheers

Mark
    Participant

Hi I'm supposed  to be doing a ride with some mates from whangarei upto cape reinga down to new plymouth wellington and back up the east coast ,gisborne and finnish in rotorua on as many dirt roads we can leaving june 18th for around 10 days should be fun

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.