Home Forums General Discussion R1200GS broke down!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Inactive

Had a bit of drama yesterday, coming back from Ohakea. Just North of Whatawhata The bike felt as if it was running out of fuel and came to a stop.  Tried a restart but it died again after 5 secs or so.Bit the bullet & pushed it 2 km back down the road to the service centre to find it only sold petrol & had no mechanic.  Peter (?) & his wife who were coming back from the waitomo weekend stopped to see if I was O.K. & gave me Henry's phone number. Henry gave a list of easy faults with no success, so Mr AA man was called.  He had a go fault finding & after another talk to Henry, decided it was a matter of getting it to Hamilton Motorcycle center.A towtruck turned up & took it to my mates place, early this morning I rang mike at HMCC & the boys quickly isolated the fault to the fuel pump relay which had died a horrible fried death.  No part was in stock, but the boss kindy allowed the relay to be cannabalised from his new 1200 GS ADV, so I was on the road quck smart.Thanks to all those who helped, Peter, Henry, the AA dude, the towies and the team at Hamilton MCC.Dave Bessant at Thunderbike (who I got the bike off 6 weeks ago) is also  coming to the party with the warranty claim, so happy faces all round.Thank god it didn't happen on Friday when I was riding down the forgotten Highway!!(Man the GS is a good bike)  (except when it breaks down!)

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Bad luck with the breakdown. That relay is a known R1200GS problem, and I'm surprised Henry didn't know about it. I was recently advised by Experience to install a new one, even if the old one was working perfectly, as they are sure to fail sooner or later. I now have a new one installed and the old one as a spare. It's a 10-minute job to do it yourself, and not too expensive.

Jim Young
    Participant

Thats handy to know Arne, whats a new one worth ? and can't it be bypassed as a temporary measure ?

Dave Ross

All this because of a relay. I thought that canbus system was foolproof. I glad you've managed to sort it out. Bikes aren't much fun to push.We'll you join us for the gravel option on Sunday?Alex

Anonymous
    Inactive

new relay was $230, plus labour/diagnostic machine charges.Sorry, can't do the gravel ride, as I'm picking up my son from the airport for the hols.  Have a good ride.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Glad to see you got it sorted Rob. I've now decided I should carry a list of useful phone numbers on the bike. A water proof list. I ran out of gas once 1/3 of the way up the Ngauranga Gorge in Wellington. I knew the nearest gas station was Johnsonville at the top of the hill. The funny thing is I switched to reserve but couldn't get it to run. So I realised it must have been on reserve. I got 2/3rds of the way up the gorge when another motorcyclist stopped. He told me he had the same bike and it was a bugger to start after running out and switching to reserve. So he jumped on and after a lot of kick starting attempts finally had it running. The Ngauranga Gorge feels steep when you ride it, but pushing a bike upit makes it seem a lot steeper.

honeybear.2399
    Participant

🙄  I had the same trouble with the fuel pump relay on a (Dare I say it)  🙄 Ducati some years back.  None in stock in NZ, and the cost was something like $230.00, so I took the old one to an auto elect. supply shop and they found a replacement, at a cost of about $25.00.  I plugged it in and we were away.  It was still going when I sold the bike some 12 years latter.  “Makes you wonder”  Phil

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Sorry, my memory cells are starting to corrode. It was not cheap, and BMW do not call it a relay. They call it a solenoid. And together with a new O-ring and a small discount it cost close to $215. I have no idea whether you can bypass it as a temporary measure.

honeybear.2399
    Participant

? Is it a solenoid or a relay ? Phil 👿

Dave Ross

A relay is a magnetic switch, I suppose that makes it a solenoid.

honeybear.2399
    Participant

A relay is a magnetic switch, I suppose that makes it a solenoid.

Without getting to carried away, a relay uses a solenoid to pull in a set of contacts, so therefor is only part of a relay.  Phil 😀

Dave Ross

😀

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Getting carried away just a little further, a solid-state relay does not have a solenoid to pull in a set of contacts. You can have a relay without having a solenoid, and you can have a solenoid without having a relay. Whatever BMW call it, it's not exactly cheap.

honeybear.2399
    Participant

Whatever BMW call it, it's not exactly cheap.

Nothing to-do with BMW is ever cheap, but then if you want the best 😐  or is it???????  Phil

Dave Ross

Sometimes it's worth looking for generic components. My starter solenoid was much cheaper from an auto electrician than the BMW part would have been. Your relay may have been a BMW specific part, seeing that you have canbus and all that. It's a black art for me, I only the most basic knowledge on electric components. However, as it was all covered by goodwill and warranty, the cost doesn't really matter, just the inconvenience.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.