Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk R1150RT final drive set-up/clearances

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Apologies if this info is already posted somewhere here, but I can't read every back thread. ( I've done a few).Yes I've had the nasty experience of walking out to the shed to ride my recently acquired new toy, 2001 R1150RT to find a pool of oil under the back wheel. Bearing seems like it might be grumbly ( haven't lifted the caliper right off but 2 opinions), so out it comes.At least it didn't happen away from home. Anyway, has anyone got the setup/ clearance details for shimming the preload on the bearings?I have found videos to disassemble the thing, doesn't look too hard but can't find a set up 1 and I understand it is utterly critical to get it right.Bought Haynes Manual, was all in sealed wrapping so couldn't check contents, when I did get inside I found that that particular rebuild "was beyond the scope".... Apparently the  Clymer 1 is better but is more expensive, (but not as expensive as the factory version, and better) and not readily available here.Soo if any of you good people have the necessary info,could you email it to me, willmots@ihug.co.nz  would be much appreciated. I bought the darn thing to ride this summer instead of doing up the R80 now I have 2 piles of u/s Teutonic tin!

Anonymous
    Inactive

I Have a BMW workshop manual for the R1100S  (in PDF form) and had a quick look through the final drive servicing section, it is pretty complex and requires some specific alignment jigs. The procedure should be similar

scottmillshome
    Participant

Thanks Billy, any chance you could email me that .PDF, or maybe just the relevant section if you have a slow or limited connection?( I have enough speed & capacity  this end for it not to be  a problem. ( or maybe if you downloaded it from somewhere, do you remember the source?proftrevor@vodafone.co.nzCheers, Trevor.

Anonymous
    Inactive

follow below – BMWOR » General » Motorcycle Tech Talk (towards bottom of p3) "R1200gs final drive kaput!"good detailed tutorial video link in that string, as below -http://www.bmwlt.com/uploads/lt_final_drive_rebuild.wmvfinal drive is cheaper/easier than gearbox bearings at 151kmgood luck!

Anonymous
    Inactive

emailed to your Vodafone address , P.S. name is Ron.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Didn't go too big for your account – do you have another address?

scottmillshome
    Participant

Thanks Ron, all other accounts are also via Ihug/Vodafone, except of course my Gmail one, trevorwillmot@gmail.comThat could be worth a try. Failing that I could post you an SD card to copy to?Would just like to compare  all clearances with the GS one Andy has supplied, if they are the same then chances are the RT ones are the same. It possibly makes sense for them to be so, but sense is never a guarantee. One would think they might have done something different on the GS as its loading's and general treatment are likely to be harder?

scottmillshome
    Participant

follow below - BMWOR » General » Motorcycle Tech Talk (towards bottom of p3) "R1200gs final drive kaput!"good detailed tutorial video link in that string, as below -http://www.bmwlt.com/uploads/lt_final_drive_rebuild.wmvfinal drive is cheaper/easier than gearbox bearings at 151kmgood luck!

Thank you for that,Trevor.

Anonymous
    Inactive

No luck again. Its 25 megs post me a usb key to box 91 Piha, 0646 Auckland  and I will load it on for you

Anonymous
    Inactive

Guys, another option is something like sendspace: http://www.sendspace.com/You upload the file there, other person downloads it.

Anonymous

Guys, another option is something like sendspace: http://www.sendspace.com/You upload the file there, other person downloads it.

Dropbox, or if you want the fastest upload, no throttling, go to the big German's Mega.

scottmillshome
    Participant

Thanks guys, I rarely have the need for transferring large files so those options had kind of slipped my mind...( what's left of it anyway.)

scottmillshome
    Participant

Thank you all or your assistance & responses.I have now been able o compare the backlash & preload specs for the R150/1200C, 1100S & R1150GS.Despite certain other differences these are all the same, so it seems reasonable to believe they will also be so for the R1150 RTJust for the record, for anyone else watching,Backlash mm (in) 0.07....0.16 (0.0027...0.0063)Taper roller bearing preload mm (in) 0.05....0.1 ( 0.0020...0.0039).

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.