Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk R1100R Steering

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Participant

🙂 I have a 1994 R1100R (35,000kms). The bike needs to be countersteered at normal road speeds and at low speeds the steering is very heavy. Does anyone have any ideas, experience  or solutions to this problem.

Dave Ross

Have you checked the tyres and the tyre pressure?

cutitoutnz
    Participant

Thanks for your reply. Yes tyre pressures are OK and the tyres are in almost new condition.

Murray
    Participant

YJ,If it ain't the tyres then you're looking at a suspension problem I think. While the Telelever is arguably the finest feature of BMWs, its only shortcoming (IMHO) is the quality of the shock itself, which is easily (if not cheaply) rectified.CheersGarry

cutitoutnz
    Participant

Thanks Garry I will check it out.Jim

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

The R1100R comes with a steering damper.  Mine didn't have it fitted when I bought it and although I sourced one off Ebay I never fitted it because I found the bike to handle very well without.  The only other difference with mine was that it had spoked wheels which were slightly bigger than the alloys (I think).  Does your bike have a damper and if so is it in good condition?  Good luck.  Malcolm

cutitoutnz
    Participant

Yes Malcolm my bike does have a steering damper and I am interested to hear that yours did not have one. Since my bike is 12 years old and I suspect the shocks front and rear and the steering damper are originals I will check them all out. I may try running without the steering damper. Thanks for your helpJim

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Sorry if that was misleading Jim, mine had one originally but it was removed before I bought it.  The previous owner removed it after it developed a leak and found as I did – the bike was fine without the damper although I wonder if the larger front wheel made it more stable at the front.

cutitoutnz
    Participant

Malcolm my bike has an 18 inch Rear and 17 inch front is this the same as yours ?Jim

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

Jim I sold mine last year.  I'm pretty sure iit was an 18″ front – spoked as I mentioned earlier but I can't be positive.  When I first got the bike I found the speedo was badly slow and think this is because of the oversize front wheel.  I bought a Panoram cycle computer for the bike and it proved to be excellent and very accurate.

Murray
    Participant

The R1100R comes with a steering damper.  Mine didn't have it fitted when I bought it and although I sourced one off Ebay I never fitted it because I found the bike to handle very well without.  The only other difference with mine was that it had spoked wheels which were slightly bigger than the alloys (I think).  Does your bike have a damper and if so is it in good condition?  Good luck.  Malcolm

That's right Malcolm, a few 1100R owners got to about 18K and the damper was either leaking or seized up altogether. Advice coming in from UK owners was to take it off and bin it. Unless you're mad or out racing the thing (or both) you probably wouldn't need it anyway. I don't think that the type or size of the wheels would make a huge difference in the handling that Jim describes if tyres, damper and suspension were all okay.CheersGarry

Grant
    Participant

Re Steering damper, my R1100S has got one and it also leaked, It leaked due to small marks on the rod due to its position copping any stones coming off the front tyre,[This can be repaired] after extensive research at Air NZ where I work I was able to source some superior seals [better than original] that work with synthetic turbine engine oil which I used after trying 7 different viscosities of oil to get the damping rate correct. Also have perfected a simple fix to stop shrapenal coming off the front tyre and damaging the hydraulic rod. If you need help with overhauling the damper you can call me at work and I could give you the information and the seal details and its an easy fix that you could do yourself. Work Ph 03 3747 439. Cheers Andrew

cutitoutnz
    Participant

Thanks Andrew I removed the steering damper and have run the bike without it, no problems. The front shock absorber needs replaced and I am thinking about getting Ohlins front and back. The price is hard to swallow but I like the bike and the handling needs sorting out. I will let you know how I get on. If I decide to refit the steering damper I will give you a call.RegardsJim

Murray
    Participant

Thanks Andrew I removed the steering damper and have run the bike without it, no problems. The front shock absorber needs replaced and I am thinking about getting Ohlins front and back. The price is hard to swallow but I like the bike and the handling needs sorting out. I will let you know how I get on. If I decide to refit the steering damper I will give you a call.RegardsJim

Good result then  😀CheersGarry

pdmeikle57
    Participant

Hi Andrew 🙂Just came across this old post. Feels like the damper on my 97 850 needs overhauling. Is it still possiblr to get those seals you mentioned?CheersTracy

Re Steering damper, my R1100S has got one and it also leaked, It leaked due to small marks on the rod due to its position copping any stones coming off the front tyre,[This can be repaired] after extensive research at Air NZ where I work I was able to source some superior seals [better than original] that work with synthetic turbine engine oil which I used after trying 7 different viscosities of oil to get the damping rate correct. Also have perfected a simple fix to stop shrapenal coming off the front tyre and damaging the hydraulic rod. If you need help with overhauling the damper you can call me at work and I could give you the information and the seal details and its an easy fix that you could do yourself. Work Ph 03 3747 439. Cheers Andrew

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.