Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk R1100R rear-ended by car

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Hi allI bought a R1100R online a few months ago, even went to check it out beforehand but this still slipped past me. It looks like it has been hit by a car from the back, and this has damaged the connection between swingarm/wheel, the biggest problem being that the brake disc is misaligned and can be seen causing the caliper to wave left/right by almost a centimeter when you put the bike on center stand and let it idle in first gear.It doesnt seem like the wheel itself is misaligned though, so either the previous owner had at least fixed that already, or it had never become misaligned in the first place. Even at speed everything feels stable, and I had been riding the bike for a couple of months before I even noticed this problem - of course I felt the 'bumpiness' in the rear brake but I had put it down to dodgy ABS.Anyway, the question is, will this require fixing for a warrant? I am actually overseas at the moment thinking to bring the bike to NZ early next year, and just trying to sum up my options.Thx

Anonymous
    Inactive

Sounds like your rear disk is warped.http://www.motobins.co.uk/showimage.php?image=20347When you apply the rear brake, does the lever go down a long way?I would replace the 4 swingarm bearings also, checking that the bolts (titanium or steel) are not a loose fit on the bearing, replace if they are.Carefull removing the 2 hex head bolts that fix disk to hub. They can be a real womans thing to get out. A quality hex socket on an impact driver with some heat from a small butane torch to soften the locking compound is the only way to go.If all this sounds like over kill, them 4 bearings and bolts are rather important, it's all that hold your rear end on.If your wheels need truing up, John Yeates at Cambridge is the expert.If you prefer to pay a more realistic price for the parts try the UK site in the above link. Parts usually arrive within a week.

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

A centimeter seems like a lot of movement for a brake caliper. Does your wheel spin true? I can't imagine the rear disc being out by such a large amount without the wheel  wobbling as well.My bike has been rear-ended twice. Once while moving and once while stationary. So far I haven't noticed any damage. I did have the pivot bearings replaced as the wheel had a bit of movement in it, but I don't think that was related to the hits. All bikes need that done, some sooner others later.Grab the top and the bottom of the rear wheel and give it a wiggle. See if you can sense any movement. If there is movement you either need the pivot bearings replaced or the larger diff. bearing.Cheers,Alex

Peter Hadfield
    Participant

rear ended twice!  have you looked  to check that you don't have a sign on your back saying “hit me”?

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

First time ever that I used a High Viz vest I got rear-ended on the motorway while still doing about 70km/h. I managed to keep it upright. Second time while waiting at a traffic light, drunk guy didn't stop in time.

honeybear.2399
    Participant

First time ever that I used a High Viz vest I got rear-ended on the motorway while still doing about 70km/h. I managed to keep it upright. Second time while waiting at a traffic light, drunk guy didn't stop in time.

Sounds like you need one of these!!!!!!!!  Regards PhilNewHelmet.jpg

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

It was the first thing I bought after the accident. Here I am about to leave for work. It's so much more visible than a vest.

Anonymous

Back in the day when I was a real motorcyclist, before I bought my first Bee-Em, I always suspected that owners of the marque were a bunch of coneheads.How many years have I got before it is likely to happen to me? 😀 😀 😀

Folker Liebenow
    Participant

Too late, you've responded on a BMW forum….. 😮

John Exton
    Participant

Hey. Thanks for the input. I double-checked the wheel itself again and it is straight, no problems at all. It's definitely just the disc that is the only thing crooked.The main question I have at the moment is, whether this is likely to be spotted during a warrant check, and if so whether it would be a problem for passing the warrant check. Personally I don't mind riding the bike like this, but no warrant would mean no riding....

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

You can get after-market brake discs from trade-me. I don't think they will pick it. If the rear brake still works it should be fine. Find a place where they don't test ride the bike themselves and you should get the warrant.Disclaimer: I would not ride with brakes that are not 100% and would certainly recommend that you replace the brake disc. Even a secondhand one would be ok.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.