Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk R1100 RT mirrors removal

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Participant

HI.  I am new to this forum and new to late(ish)  model boxers.  I wa :?nt to remove the side fairing to get at the battery, but cannot get the mirror off.  The handbook says they just pull off, but I have already exerted quit large force and don't think it is going to come off.  Has something changed on the 2000 R1100RT that prevents mirror removal, or am I just chicken hearted? 😕

Dave Ross

The mirrors have to be tapped (short sharp tap with the palm of your hand into the correct direction. I suspect upwards,, but I don't know. There are a couple of RT riders on the board who would know. I you get know reply from them, give Experience a quick ring.

Warren
    Participant

I may be wrong but here is how I get them off.Stand in front with the mirror against your belly for support. Grasp the back of the shroud with convenient hand, thumb on top and fingers under.Hold the front of it with your other hand. Apply increasing steady force, forwards with the rear hand while firmly holding on. There are 2 clips behind the mirror and one under the front of the indicator. It will pop off the rear 2 first as the width of the mirror gives more leverage.To replace them you need to get the clips lined up then belt it with the heel of your hand.I have also found that riding very close to stopped cars when lane filtering is also effective but not always convenient. I have fitted a cord on each side to catch the mirror before the blinker leads get damaged. 

Peter Hogg
    Participant

Thanks for the info.  I am not sure if the terms front and back are in relation to the bike as you would sit it on it, or from the view of the person removing the mirror, who is facing towards the rear of th bike.  I am assuming a term like the  rear hand means the one with the palm touching/facing the mirror surface?  ( ie closest to the rear of the bike?).  Sorry if I am being a bit thick, but I don't wnat to stuff up these expensive items!!    😡

Warren
    Participant

I tried to make it for either side, left or right mirror which made it a bit more difficult.Once you have done it once it gets easier. If you want to get at the battery you will need to remove at least the left ( glovebox ) panel and probably both. Replacing the battery can be difficult. Removing the tank also helps but I haven't done that as Experience replaced my battery during a service.So, left panel. Bike on centre stand. Stand with the indicator lense against your belly. Place right hand over the shroud covering the actual mirror with thumb on top, fingers underneath and the edge of your hand (pinkie side) pressing on the outer edge of the shroud (nearest you). Support the front (front wheel end) of the shroud with left hand.Now right hand, pull the outer edge forward and towards you as if opening a door with the hinge in under your left hand. You are sort of prising it off and it should just pop. If they haven't been removed for a long time the clips may be tight so you will need to apply a fair bit of force but you will lessen the risk of damage if you don't need to wack it. Suggest after you get them off to put some lubication (vaseline) on the pegs and clips.Good luck.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Have taken the battery out of my r1100rt a couple of times.  Take left mirror off – just needs a good wack toward front or back – Remove Seat – remove left hand tupper ware – undo battery.Fitted new BMW battery in my bike as the old one that came out of it was a BMW which was dated 2000 so if it had lasted 6 years I was happy to spend the money replacing it.  I fitted a BMW Gel battery.  Also got a battery doc for it and put it on if the bike is going to sit for awhile.  The ABS system still sucks power with the key turned off.  They reckon 3 weeks and you should charge. Dave

Peter Hogg
    Participant

Thanks for all the help. It was really reassuring to know that all that was needed was a bit more brute force in the right direction.  Got the mirror off now, and, of course, once you see how it is held on it isn't a problem for the future.  I will certainly connect a strap to hold the mirror if it comes of inadvertently, like hitting something or having a car door open against it etc.  Thanks again.  Now for the challenge of batttery removal  (sigh). 

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.