Home Forums Motorcycle Tech Talk R100RT Service

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I live in Auckland & have an Airhead  1990 R100RT.  Although we do have a BMW dealership here, it would appear that understandably, they are more interested in the newer model maintenance & do not work on Airheads.  This of course means that many, like myself have a problem with servicing etc. of one's bike.  I have tried the odd person, working at home,  to whom I have been recommended with very unsatisfactory results, & two local non BMW workshops have been mentioned, neither of which I have yet tried.  I would be grateful if anyone who lives in Auckland has had experience with and can recommend a workshop where one can take one's pride & joy, confidant that what has to be done will be correctly & effectively attended to at a reasonable cost.Thanks

Richard Kuysten
    Participant

I live in Auckland & have an Airhead  1990 R100RT.  Although we do have a BMW dealership here, it would appear that understandably, they are more interested in the newer model maintenance & do not work on Airheads.  Thanks

I do not agree that it is understandable, in fact I am amazed to read this and would be interested to hear if you have confirmed for yourself that they do not work on airheads.  Surely a BMW dealer is duty bound to work on any BMW and I would making enquiries from BMW NZ if in fact this proves to be true.Malcolm

Dave Ross
    Keymaster

I agree with Malcolm, I can't imagine that Experience won't work on Airheads. Every now and then they sell Airhead GS's and seeing that they are pretty easy to work on there's really no reason why they shouldn't service them.. In a couple of weeks I will be getting my R80GS going again and do a service while I am at it. If you live near Balmoral you are welcome to join me and do your own service. I've got most tools for the job. There are only two valves per head, changing the oil is simple and bleeding the brakes no rocket science. It's actually fun, like most jobs that you don't have to do for a living :-).

Anonymous

Experience BMW do work on airheads. If your preference is to have your bike serviced for you, ask them for a quote before work begins. At least one of the guys there personally owns a few airheads and has a clue. Your options outside of Experience would be to contact John Hartles in Glenfield who is very clued up on airheads and very capable all round. Or get a manual and do it yourself. None of the regular servicing is difficult, nor are any special tools required. :>)Nick

Brian
    Participant

And you will find a wealth of info here. All airheads all the time. If I can service them, anyone can. And the service manager at Experience I believe owns a '65 R69S. So he really knows airheads.http://www.airheads.org/

Fred DAG – 9999
    Participant

Thanks for the responses.  In reply to a few of the points raised; it was Experience who suggested that because my bike is an Airhead & their mechanics are far more knowledgeable on the Oilheads & newer bikes, their recommendation was for me to take it to the gentleman in Glenfield, mentioned hereunder.  I did do so & as stated previously, was singularly unimpressed with the result. I must say that I have been riding, servicing & tuning my own Bee Emms  for the past 40 years or so.  However time & other constraints at present preclude me from doing so at present, hence my looking further afield for someone knowledgeable & competent to do this for me.

Arne Rohde
    Participant

Ian Livett of Motorcycle Surgery is a BMW-trained motorcycle mechanic, previously the head mechanic at Experience. He's located in the basement below Motomail at 41 College Hill, phone 0-9-379 2222. He did the servicing on my pre-CANBus BMWs, and I was satisfied with the results. I'm sure he'll still be happy to service airheads.

Fred DAG – 9999
    Participant

Thanks Artig, I shall contact him.Keep the rubber side down.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.